Chapter 11: Calm Before the Storm (III)

It's quite unsettling, this lightning storm that has caught Hong Luo's eyes. The familiar yet unfamiliar anomaly grasped at her heart and squeezed. Her brows furrow at the sensation, but her eyes do not fall from the bright sky flickering beyond the trees.

Like her, the whole tribe was caught by this dangerous rain. Those indoors had taken a step outside, indifferently examining the phenomenon. Their expressions, not the least bit surprised. After all, this wasn't all too unfamiliar to them, a rain of lightning once a month, even twice a month was not uncommon. It was so recurrent that It was the dry months that left one curiously guessing.

Was this season different?

Not a single soul would ignorantly ask aloud. A taboo question that would beckon the crows beak to caw towards the heavens, and bring about the disaster that had been brewing in the peace and quiet.

None wished for this, so none dared to utter, but their eyes and gestures spoke the words they refused to speak.

"Nothing good ever comes of the lightning. If it affects the weather, we'll have to wait until the next it rains for the festival. So much practice and resources down the drain. Ugh— Let's go back inside Luo'er and away from the gloomy lightning." Catori grumbled and moaned, the rasp in her tone beyond aggrieved with a taste of anger. Both her shoulders were slumped, her chin connected to her clavicle, and her face scrunched up in a pout.

"You can go, I'll stay out here a bit longer." Hong Luo ruffled Catori's drooping hair, but then paused. Right there underneath that mop of dirty orange, a disgruntled expression glared a hole through her skull.

She chuckled at the orange tabby cat that looked to have been abandoned in the rain. "What is it?"

"Whyyy— why don't you want to go inside?" Catori practically pushed with her words. She didn't understand the reason Luo'er wished to remain outside. Please don't tell her she wants to keep watch? To stand out here in the dimming light, to watch the irritating lightning storm?

Unfortunately, to Catori's bafflement, that was indeed the reason.

"I want to look a little while longer." Luo'er answered with an infuriatingly cute tilt to her head.

"Whyyy! The lightning storm happens so often that there's nothing else to see from it." At first it's scary, the second time it's fascinating, but by the third time it's boring. Catori has had enough of it!

"Last month alone there was a lightning storm twice a week! I'm tired of being blinded. I'm tired of being woken up. I'm just sick and tired of cleaning up the aftermath! With how tiring it is, why aren't you tired of it, Luo'er?"

The amount of sense this made to Catori was enough to win her a single blade of grass! And grass is worthless to sell! The sense is worthless! The reason must be just as worthless!

Catori had the look that screamed, 'no matter what you tell me, I-will-not-believe-you!'

"Then remain out here with me if you are so inclined." Instead of needlessly explaining, Hong Luo ended it with this.

Catori felt as if her hair exploded in frustration. She dropped to her butt, crossed her legs, haughty twisted her head to the side and pouted. Fine, have it your way, she'll stay out here but she absolutely refuses to look at that irritating lightning for a moment more!

Hong Luo couldn't help but chuckle, but then her smile fell as her eyes landed back on that lightning. It was strange. Far too strange, she felt. This dream's ability to fill in the gaps was beyond reason. For it relay to her with 'that' as the reason for the lightning alarmed her quite a bit.