Chapter 02: Disorienting Fever, Impatient Man (1)

Unaffected by the stirring chaos, a wisp of light left the Scoria world behind. Its glow, too faint to catch its illusionary and bittersweet tail. How whimsical this existence is. Leisurely traveling amongst the stars leaving all worries behind and returning to the golden bridge Haizi, protectively weaved by the two red bridges Muqin and Fuqin.

Further and further it traveled, passing a point where Muqin and Fuqin broke away from Haizi. This was where the immaculate Haizi began showing signs of wear. This long stretched journey, as if a ballad sung by a hardened warrior fallen from heaven into hell, reveals heart aching fissures with every mile traversed, with every step crossed a piece of stone falls away.

156 miles across and Haizi no longer looked the same. Whittled away into a ruin on the verge of collapse. The further the light traveled the worse it became. And a quarter of mile past 192 was the eminent ruination that had long shown signs of coming to pass.

Once this light reached the path's end it neither fell off nor stopped its advance. Proceeding forward and right off the ledge it went. Yet it did not fall. Wherever the light passed, Haizi was rebuilding itself, bringing together the broken rubble into a narrow path. The amelioration is small and the travel speed slow.

Right below a small world sat amongst the stars. Here a large restless continent steadily became swallowed in angry clouds. Further down passed these clouds, scattered raindrops wet one of many windows of a large residence.

Passing the wet glass, inside the wide study, the decorations, although not numerous, harmonized in a scholarly order. To one side on the small table displayed a simple yet famous qin and flute, their black material glossy without a speck of dust. Next to these a mind calming fragrance emitted inside an incense burner, not at all pleasant, like medicine it burns the throat and nostrils to one's surprise and discomfort. On the other side sat a cushioned couch with a folded blanket and cushion right on top. To the side near the arm rest sat a table covered with evenly placed books. Towards one's curiosity, only one book's title could be read, "Heart's Enlightenment," while the others remained a mystery.

Looking again over the room, right above the couch a small two shelves bookcase hung on the wall, replaced with flower vases of white and red carnations instead of books. Above this hung a splendid ukiyo-e painting of mountains twisting with valleys, a crowning light glowing in the sky casting its visage upon the waters below. Looking to the other side of the room hung another ukiyo-e painting above the qin. The composition, a copy of the opposite wall's painting, just with a much darker tone. Inside this similar but different landscape, the light is replaced by the moon reflecting in the black waters. The mountains appeared broken, ravaged by time. Dark smudges were all over this painting, ruining its beauty, yet also seemingly purposeful.

Taking a step back to look over the room's simple focal point. Situated between the windows hung a 'U' shaped shelf of stones protected by two glass doors. The gems swirl with life, the gentle blue adding a touch of mystery to the last painting. Nicely fit in the space above the shelf sat a family portrait. A raven-haired man, a brunette woman, and a young daughter with the same hair as her mother's, the same gray eyes of her father. The harmonious painting reduced the sharpness of the long table below piled with paperwork. An ink stone and brush sat neatly to the side. On the other end a cup of tea softly billows steam.

To one's surprise, behind this desk the most unique existence was not these magical stones, nor was it the strange shapes the billowing steam created, but the simple sandalwood box carved with a phoenix on its lid. It sat atop the middle pile of paperwork, its lid open, and a strange aura vibrating around it.

"Pop," came a sound from the box.

The windows flashed, "boom" lightning strikes not too far out from the study, masking any other sounds that may have 'coincidently' occurred simultaneously. The large birch tree sitting close by was hit, shaking the ground and rattling the items inside the study. Suddenly a rush of wind struck the courtyard, bursting both windows open and the weightless paperwork scattered into the air.