Chapter 02: Disorienting Fever, Impatient Man (2)

Startled by its close proximity, a pair of servant girls, dressed in pink garments, dropped the load on their shoulders. A person from the looks of it. A young girl dressed in a thin white robe, the cloth dirty and wet, completely covered in rough mending's and newly formed tears. Her wood brown hair, which should be rather long, looks more like a bird's nest with how many knots had tangled it, and the few long strands reaching below her waist were twisted, appearing matted beyond saving. What could be seen of the girl, her small body which is dreadfully thin was sick, without a trace of fat or muscle in sight.

The poor girl's not dead again is she? The shorter servant silently questioned, while she and the other servant draped her back over their shoulders. Although they managed to return to her the breath of life, saving their necks from the cold blade of their masters, the servant girl had doubts in her heart. Those who turned blue in the face would never open their eyes again, everyone knows this, right? So why were they able to save the life when clearly the person had died?

No, it was not her place to question. A flower on the wall with working arms and legs is all they as servant girls are. Death is around every corner in this dreadful place, and ignorance is the herb of life, or at least feigned ignorance masked with wooden faces and war paint. Essentially daisy weeds everywhere with hemlock mixed confidently in sight. When entering this place no one here is unaware of the ramifications, be it intentional or otherwise. Even the lowly animals, without a voice to talk, seemed aware that one slip and the string is cut. All the pieces would fall and shatter without a trace left behind.

It's just—– this daisy weed's fear——– it's currently eating her alive! This wasn't just some random miss taken off the street. No. This is the manor Lord's niece, Hong Luo! The only daughter of the first master who refused to acknowledge his roots. Which inadvertently allowed the second master, the current Manor Lord, to acquire his position. It was essentially thanks to this niece, the sudden pregnancy that tore apart the first branch from the mother tree, allowing an unwanted marriage to follow through, turning a 'young master' into a 'lord'.

Yet, despite her identity, this niece is abused by the servants. Beaten until near death. Starved to the Bone. Scorned and isolated into ineptitude. Not even the two elder misses' love could save her. Not that they didn't try, and time and time again they tried. Until they realized by trying, the abuse became worse, ultimately trying no longer.

She, this nameless daisy weed of a servant, was there when this niece first arrived. She clearly remembers how the niece was treated and how the girl used to be. A rough personality with a bright shining smile. A small body full of life, full of aspirations! The manor lord excused all her small crimes, the fumbled etiquette, the disrespect. Not even the manor laws, that no one was allowed to break, that 9 times out of 10 could result in near death, did not applied to her. The indulgence the manor lord drowned his niece shot to the sky, and terrified others more than it inspired envy. Their heartless lord acting human felt very wrong in all eyes in the know. Watching as the niece challenged and challenged——–so many years knocked off their lives at the sight.

Now looking back if placing the past her next to the current her, she dare say that no one would think them the same person. The contrast was so frightfully chilling, that those who on normal days would never empathize, looking at her, would die on the inside unable to forget, being haunted by the memory in their dreams. Those desolate soul searing eyes would stay for a lifetime. The monster that had caused it——– truly a beast in human form, but not surprising as that is what he has always been. As much as the servant sympathized, her small existence did not weigh enough to intervene, she would be just another life snuffed out in the long run. Nothing would change for either the niece or herself. All that can be done is watch, be the witness to the dying light that will soon be snuffed out. For it will be gone, nothing survives in this- 'place'.