Chapter 06: Fig Branch Lost in a Dream (II)

[Warning: This chapter contains disturbing and distressing themes such as. Depictions of gore, Suicidal inclinations, and mental break downs. Please tread carefully if any of these topics affect you in any way shape or form. Even the writer herself was greatly affected while writing, keep that in mind.]

»»----- ✼ -----««

"Master!" Mozen snaps out of her trance and turns in time for a small body to ram into her.

"Master look look look! I did it, I did it! I wove together wood and water essence and tied a perfect knot! Praise me, praise me!"

She didn't immediately respond because she was no longer underwater but in a fuzzy scenery. There was a small wooden house sweetly decorated in vines. A garden in the front yard, and in the far distance a bridge crossing over a babbling brook,

Unconsciously she places her hand atop that raging red hair below her bustline. When her other hand reaches to embrace the small little girl, it becomes enveloped in a pair of tiny arms.

"Oh please, take all the credit will you," scoffs another little girl who was coyingly clinging to Mozen. That head of shimmering sunlight attracted her eye, as well as a helpless smile.

"Mother, Rongrong is being bad and telling lies. If it weren't for me and Sheng'ge, with those clumsy hands, she'd still be squatting in the garden and crying."

"I was not crying! Master, Lili is fibbing!"

"Right," Lili rolls her eyes.

Another child pops out. He takes away Mozen's hand from Rong'er's head and places it on his own. A cunning twinkle sparkles in those muddy green eyes squinting with joy.

"Sheng'ge, Sheng'ge! You saw Rongrong crying right, right?"

The taciturn brunette boy just nods his head, his gray eyes creasing in joy. Obviously he liked his mother patting his head, so much so he'd say yes to anything. Whatever Lili just said came in one ear and left the other.

Rong'er growled in frustration! "Lili you fibbing butt head!" Suddenly she tackles Lili

"I know you are but what am I?'' Lili taunted.

Both girls go tumbling to the ground pulling at each other's hair, smushing each other's cheeks, and sticking fingers up each other's noses.

Whilst the other two weren't paying attention, Shenghuo completely occupied his mother's arms, finally breaking out into a silly grin. The little boy is a mommy's boy from his head to his toes.

Mozen's heart felt light as a feather. Feeling a sense of ease at the familiar setting, she just stood there with an indulgent smile, wrapping both arms around her son.

After a moment's thought, she felt her arms weren't full enough.

"Rong'er, Lili, come here you two. Mom wants a dog piling hug." Mozen spreads open her arms, her eyes closing in glee, waiting for those naughty children to tackle her.

Although she did not birth them like she did Shenghuo, those two were just as much her kids as he is. They were just as much a reason to keep living despite the pain.

They are her whole world. A world that had long grown up to live lives of their own. She was saddened that they had left her so soon, but also proud, so very proud.

They no longer needed her, and this made her equal parts melancholic and happy. How she wished to hold these times tighter, and see them but a moment longer.