Chapter 06: Fig Branch Lost in a Dream (I)

The next day dawns. The rain not once letting up on its relentless downpour. Because the sun is stubborn as it is bright, even the clouds can't fully block out its light. Dull rays allow this gloomy morning to feel fresh despite the rolling clouds up high. And work still goes on, tribe members bustling here and there. Which includes just outside the medicine tent.

Just beyond the grassy green folds sat two elderly doctors, a woman and a man. Their arguments over this and that, how this could work but the other pointing out the faults then advertising their own, could be heard far outside the tent. Even the shattering of a glass and scoffs eluding to one's old age easily made it out.

But as if their ears were decoration, the passing by people act obliviously, going about their business with ease. Yet if you looked close enough, right alongside the temple, following down the brow, were subtle sweat drops, a forced frown hiding a smile, and their eyes flicking to the side then back forward.

Truly an amusing sight, the guards manning each side of the tent mused, trying their best not to laugh. For if they laughed, they feared the sleeping beasts not too far from them, right up in the trees hanging over top the tent. The Leopard to the right, the primate to the left.

Ah, what a bitter sweet circumstance these two have found themselves in. Loving it and hating it equally as much.

"Doctor Rasha, Doctor Termit." A middle aged woman walks from around a partition made from four three meter tall leaves, and one meter in width.

Her bouncy short locks dyed in the colors of autumn, curl up around her ear, becoming longer the further back they go. Her face, which should be quite beautiful, had a dark powder-like rash consuming the top half. It vaguely spread underneath her left eye and to her ear peeking out from her hair. Her name is Marvena.

Marvena adjusts a pair of bifocals as she checks over the patient log. "Four hours passed, Young Hong's fever has not risen above the critical limit, but it's still not shown any signs of falling. Sir Ash stirred for but a moment but has nonetheless remained comatosed. The herbal plaster has fully set, and the broken bones have aligned properly. As for the venom, none of the scrolls show any match, not one even close. Shall I put in a request for the branch in the capital and the one out west?"

"Please do so." Doctor Termit nods, grabbing both patient logs to peruse. He frowns, pulling out a bamboo pen to circle some areas while crossing others.

"Is there anything else dear?" Doctor Rasha inquires. Placing her hand to her knee, the other flips the wrist back and points out through the tent. "If you leave soon, you may have time to write a letter to your son in the capital and send it out with the request. Isn't he working in some big manor as a guard? If my memory is correct, this should be most common guard's day off. Surely he'll have time to pick it up with how fast our messenger birds are."

Marvena smiles, a soft blush rising to her cheeks, her eyes full of pride as she nods. But then swiftly she becomes serious, she lifts up the top most patient log to look at the one below it. With furrowed brows she asks, "Is it alright to release yesterday's patients? Only Sir Tiv was unfortunate enough to endure the brunt of the injuries and needs to sustain further bed rest, but the other five are energetic enough to tease and cause needless ruckus. I feel it's time to let them be on their way."

Doctor Rasha waves her hand, "yes yes, let them go." She raises her voice, "you hear that?"

""Yeah!!! Wooo!!!""

Following that call several men roar out in glee, causing Doctor Rasha to pick at her ears. "Ugh! Good. Now get out of her you ruffians, don't make Marvena work around you when she has more important things to do then baby sit a bunch of grown children! Come on now, get!"