Chapter Nine: Speed Demon

After the most intense twelve seconds of Stacy's young life, the Jeep pulled over and Keke pulled up beside.

"Am I safe?" Stacy asked, "What's going on?" Keke laughed.

"Don't worry. I'm pretty sure that's Benjamin's car. He's the local speed demon," she said, getting out of the car. Sure enough, Stacy peeked into the driver's side window of the Jeep and saw Benjamin. Now that she could see him better than at the coffee shop she had to agree with Andrea, he was a very handsome man. As she was coveting his dark long lashes, he glanced up at her. She shrank into her seat. She eavesdropped through her slightly cracked window.

"Benjamin, this again?" Keke said, "How many times have I told you to go slower on the roads here. I don't want to get a call someday saying you flew over the edge of one of these cliffs."

"My apologies, Officer," he said with a grin, "I was just rushing to a trail nearby to get a better view of the sunset." Keke pulled a pad of paper from her pocket.

"You know I'm going to have to write you up," she said.

"Yes ma'am, put it on my tab," he said. Keke laughed and shook her head, handing him a pink slip of paper.

"Alright, Ben. You're free to go, just a bit more slowly this time," she said. He nodded at Keke then turned to look at Stacy, who jumped.

"Good evening, Miss Carlyle," he said as he drove off, leaving Stacy stunned. She hadn't given her last name to anyone in town. With a groan, she realized that yet another person in Caribou knew her for her career.

"Dinnertime!" announced Keke, flopping back into the driver's seat.