Chapter Thirty-One: The Mistake

Stacy smashed her way through the trees until she found Charlie sitting on a fallen log, his head in his hands. Stacy sat down beside him and stroked his back.

"Charlie," she whispered, "What happened?" Charlie shook his head. "Why do you keep running away from Keke? Are you worried that you two won't be friends anymore? Is this about your run-in with her dad when you were younger? What is it?"

Charlie looked up at her angelic glowing blond hair in the moonlight. He had always thought she was beautiful, since the day she arrived in town. He leaned forward quickly and kissed her. Stacy pulled back in shock.

"Whoa! Charlie!" she said. Charlie flinched and frantically apologized.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I don't know what came over me; I panicked!" he said.

"Charlie, you need to tell me what's going on with you," she said, "I promise I won't tell anyone. No matter what." She held out her pinky and Charlie reluctantly held it in his.

"Stacy, there's something about me that nobody in town knows," he said, "I love Keke more than anyone in the world." Stacy nodded solemnly, but in her head thought Well, everybody knows that. "But there's something that she can't know about me. It would compromise her career. I'm undocumented. I came into this country illegally, well technically my parents were the ones who came here, but they brought me with." Stacy took the news in stride. She couldn't imagine how scary it must be to worry about losing everything every day. To worry about being wrenched away from Caribou at any moment.

"I was going to tell her years ago and ask if there was anything she could do to help, but it seems like every time I watch the news, things just get worse for immigrants. Even the documented ones." Stacy put her hand on his knee, "Tonight when Keke kissed me, it was the best feeling in the world. I was so high on life that I almost told her, but I know I can never do that, so I ran. I figured that kissing you might feel the same and knock the magic out of Keke, but she's got me under her spell. Always has, always will."

"Oh, thanks," she said, "So I'm the ugly anti-magic toad in your story." Charlie laughed.

"No, that's not what I mean!" Stacy elbowed him in the ribs. The two chuckled lightly.

"Do you want me to drive you home?" she asked. Charlie nodded. Texting a quick apology to Benjamin that included that Charlie would be okay, she got out her car keys and walked with Charlie back to her car. As he exited in front of the Gem, Stacy called out.

"Don't worry, Charlie. I won't tell anyone about any of this," she said, "Anything," she added, to make sure he knew that included his confused advances. Charlie thanked her and unlocked the doors to the coffee shop. His home. Stacy didn't feel much like celebrating with thoughts of deportation, a rigged government and an unlucky boy bouncing around in her head. She texted Benjamin again, telling him that she wasn't feeling well and drove home. Stacy spent a restless night Googling immigration laws until she fell asleep with restless dreams of legal jargon and endless forms.