Chapter Thirty-Six: Completion

One month later, Stacy walked out from the McLaughlin home which she'd sought refuge in for so long. She left the key underneath the usual rock with a note attached.

Enjoy! -Stacy

The house had gained quite a bit of publicity in the past weeks, trending on all social media sights. The interior was a phenomenal love letter to Washington. Scenes of the hotspots in Seattle, their small town from above, the Hidden Gem, the street fair and the magnificent sunsets blazed the walls. In the center was a small scene of Stacy and Benjamin side by side at the campfire's edge. It was a masterpiece. Buyers had contacted her, throwing higher and higher bids until she couldn't resist any longer. She lifted her last box of clothes from the porch and dropped it in the back seat of her Impala.

She drove up the road until she reached a small clearing in the woods. White chairs and ribbons were splayed everywhere, ready for guests. Mountains of flowers were being transported by an army of helpers. Stacy passed Bernie.

"Miss Stacy!" he said, "You look absolutely beautiful. Keke will be proud to have you as her maid of honor."

"Thanks, Bernie," she said, "Are you all ready for me to move in tonight?" Bernie nodded.

"Yup. Charlie moved all of his things out last night. It's all yours," he said. Stacy high fived him and headed for Keke's bridal tent in the corner.

"Keke!" she called before seeing her. Stacy stopped short, "You look like a goddess. Wow. I am so going to paint this someday." Keke laughed and ran over to her, her gold and white dress fluttering behind her. She hugged Stacy and spun her around.

"Paint yourself, girl. You look phenomenal!" she said. The two girls piled on makeup and hair accessories for the rest of the afternoon singing at the top of their lungs the entire time.

"I'll get some more bobby pins!" Stacy yelled, running out from the tent. Her heart stopped. Across the green, Benjamin stood, his eyes soft and welcoming. Stacy nearly ran back into the tent, but instead slowly walked towards him as if he was a skittish deer she wished to feed from her palm.

Stacy couldn't read his face as she neared, but could trust that he wouldn't come back if he wasn't ready to talk things over. She stopped, just inches from his face, a place where she had once felt so comfortable. Now she felt vulnerable and scared. This was her one and only second chance.

"Benjamin," she said, "I'm so sorry. I can't tell you how sorry I am. I should have told you when—" Benjamin cut her off with a long and lingering kiss. Stacy melted into it with no hesitation. He pulled back and held her in his arms.

"You have nothing to be sorry for," he said, "I'm sorry for not giving you the chance to explain. I was just in a vulnerable place for the first time in my life and a pebble got thrown at my walls. They crumbled, so I ran. I promise you, I will never run again if you just give me the chance to stay."

"But why now?" she asked.

"I saw all the buzz around your house, around the murals that you put so much effort into. You finally found your muse and you chose to put us in the center of your artwork. I knew then that you never meant to hurt me. I contacted Charlie and he told me the whole story," he said. "Oh, and speaking of the house." He pulled a key from his pocket that had a small note on it. Stacy's jaw dropped.

"You're the buyer?" she asked. He nodded.

"It was a rough fight to be the highest bidder, but I managed."

"Your parents' money?" she asked. He shook his head and laughed.

"Coffee with Stacy didn't do well in U.S. sales, but it turned out to be a hit in India," he said, "and that's all thanks to you. Did you read it?"

"Over and over," she said. She pulled Benjamin in closer, "I especially loved the ending."

"Oh yeah?" he asked. Stacy nodded and kissed him, smiling when she remembered that this was the first kiss of a lifetime's worth.

"I love you too, Benjamin," she said, curling her fingers through his hair, "You do still love me, right?" He picked her up and spun her around, laughing at how silly of a question it was and kissed her with purpose. Setting her on the ground, he pulled a fleck of yellow paint from her hair.

"Forever and always, Painter Girl."