16

Michael kissed Jeremy gently. Jeremy scrunched up his nose and laughed. Rich looked up at them from his notebook and then glanced over at Jake. Jake caught his eye and made a gagging face. Rich snorted and laughed. Rich felt a flutter in his heart as he and Jake laughed together.

"Hey!" Michael pouted "we're helping you with algebra here show some respect."

Jake rolled his eyes "like you guys are any help."

"We try okay?" Jeremy said.

"Where's Christine? she's smart" Rich said looking around the cafeteria.

"Rude" Michael leaned against Jeremy.

Christine strolled over to them "Hey guys!"

"Christine!" Rich clapped "are you any good at algebra."

Christine nodded "top of my class!"

"Great!" Rich smiled then frowned "because I'm in need of desperate help."

Christine giggled "that was clear from the day we first met."

Rich groaned "I hate you."

"I know" Christine chirped and sat down.

"Just help me" Rich pointed at his worksheet.

"Fine" Christine replied leaning into the sheet "Oh Rich this is a very simple problem."

Christine began to explain the problem to Rich. Jake stared longingly at the two. Well at Rich. Jake had the urge to kiss him for the longest time. He'd always find himself looking down at Rich's plump lips. Soft and pink. They were just begging to be kissed. All the burns and scars that covered Rich were just so beautiful to Jake. He wanted to kiss every one of them to remind Rich just how beautiful he was. God he wanted to... but he couldn't.

Rich and Jake had first met during kindergarten and the two were inseparable. Years went by and the two continued to be best friends up until the start of middle school. Then Jake had to move away and the inseparable pair were so suddenly separated. The two lost communication quickly sadly. Those few years they missed each other so deeply. It was strange not being by each other's side. After a few heard past Jake was ecstatic to be moving back but once he joined freshmen year he didn't even see Rich around. Then suddenly Jake had a new group of friends. Who smoked, vaped and none of them ever wanted a serious relationship just sex. Jake missed Rich more than ever and that moment. Miraculously Rich just appeared a few weeks into the year. More confident and smoother then usual. Still something was different about him. Jake knew his friend and there was something unsettling him. Long after Jake knew it was the squip and he was sorry he didn't realise or help his friend sooner.

"Oh wait so the answer is 54x-38y=89+45" Rich said as he stopped scribbling on his paper.

"Yes!" Christine cheered "great job!"

After awhile the bell rang and they had to endure class again. At the end of school Jake and Rich walked side by side out of school laughing and joking.

"Look I'm just saying" Jake said "that if you were to audition for the next school play you'd get a part."

Rich rolled his eyes "with a face like mine please."

Jake stopped in his tracks "what do you mean."

Rich raised an eyebrow at him as he stopped "I mean they would be looking for someone who like looks the part you know?" And I'm covered with scars and burns."

Jake blinked at him. Rich smiled slightly trying to lighten the tension.

Jake stared at him "I think you're beautiful."

Rich's eyes widened and his lips parted in shock. There was silence for a small period of time but what felt like centuries to them.

"Jake I-"

"GUYS!"

The two were interrupted by Chloe sprinting over to them raising her arms frantically.

"Oh Hey Chloe" Rich smiled at her.

Jake tried not to let the feeling show on his face that he really wanted to punch her in the face for ruining their moment. How the hell was he supposed to tell what Rich was going to say.

"Look I really need to talk to you guys" Chloe twiddled with her thumbs.

Rich and Jake glanced at each other they both knew Chloe only twiddled with her thumbs when she was very nervous.

"Sure Chloe you can tell us anything" Jake assured.

Chloe took a deep breath "okay so you know Brooke."

Rich and Jake nodded.

"She and I for quite awhile have been..." she bit her lip and hesitated "friends with benefits."

The boys were taken back.

"Oh you're judging me aren't you?" Chloe pouted.

"No no no no" Rich defended "no one is judging you."

"So" Jake began "is it that your not okay with being friends with benefits?"

"Sorta" Chloe stared at her feet "it's just I want to be more than just friends with benefits" there was a pause "I want to be her girlfriend."

Jake and Rich grinned at the same time.

"It's just so unnatural for me" Chloe sighed "I've never really had strong feelings for someone before no offence Jake."

Jake nodded "none taken."

"Anyway" Chloe continued "it's just I hate doing all these amazing things with her just to be called her bff always the next day. So please I need your advice."

Jake sighed "Chloe the only things you can do is to talk to Brooke about this."

Rich agreed "yeah I'm sure she'll feel the same you two have always had this special connection."

Chloe smirked "just like you and Jake."

Rich blushed and was about to make a snarky comment back when Jake just smiled and said "yeah just like me and Rich."

Rich blushed darker and Chloe beamed at the light blush brushed across Jake's cheeks.

"Alright guys I'll talk to Brooke" Chloe grinned determination in her eyes.

With that she turned away her hair flipping behind her. Jake and Rich watched her go and then continued to walk home together.

"I hope all works out for her" Jake said while walking.

"So do I" Rich answered "oh and Jake."

Jake hummed in response.

"Your beautiful too."

Jake blushed crimson and I smile painted his lips.