27 ; sign of the times

"Our house reeks of dogs," Rosalie had venom in her melodic voice as she passed the room.

I barely heard it.

"Now I understand what you tried to say to me- how you suffered for your sanity..." Paul hummed softly in my ear, cradling me close to him, his hand engulfing mine.

"What are you singing?" I wondered, empty laugh escaping my chapped lips.

"Starry starry night," he replied by singing.

"You be dork."

"No? You be dork, bro."

"Yo bro, you a dork."

He freed my hand from his, twirling a strand of my hair around his finger. "Your hand is sweaty and gross Ash."

"You are sweaty and gross."

"Thanks, that's what I aim for."

I rolled my eyes, silence settling. Paul started humming again, because whenever we were quiet we started wondering what next.

Paul and I slept in the same bed and rarely left it those past four days. Ever since he picked me up from the floor and hugged me close I could not let go. I wasn't quite sure I can.

Letting go meant go back to life. Life was on pause, Paul my remote control.

"Ashley," Carlisle knocked on the door softly. "Let's check you again."

I nodded. Paul pushed up and helped me stand, and I smiled in gratitude.

Carlisle checked up on me three times a day, even though physically I just had a few scratches, he insisted on checking me constantly.

I suspect it was because I would not leave bed for over three minutes.

Paul's hand was an extension of my life-line, and I gripped it tight, hoping it would be my salvation. My only escape of perdition.

We walked to his office, where he checked my blood pressure, and talked to me, voice soothing. He mentioned Jake healing good, Bella visiting him. He talked about Jasper, that tormented himself for leaving me alone, but decided to go off and buy me a gift along with Alice. He told me about a movie he and Esme watched the night before (The Ugly Truth) and his thoughts. I shared mine.

"And then we started a show called Easy. Ever watched it?"

"Yeah, fell asleep. You should watch Jane the Virgin."

"What's it about?" he wondered, and I told him all about it.

"Esme likes better movies. She prefers books on both, but movies are easier."

"Any Disney movie is eternal," I informed the immortal man with a smile. "Good Will Hunting is good. The Butterfly Effect, have you ever seen Pulp Fiction--"

"ASHLEY!" Mike rushed into the room, followed by my two other best friends. Emmett shrugged from behind them.

"Once  they knew you're here they wouldn't take no for an answer."

They were all beaming, and I stood up, releasing Paul's hand, reflecting their happiness.

"Why are we all so happy about?"

The two glanced at Tyler, who shrugged. "I'd rather it if we discuss it alone. Us."

"That's kinda rude Ty," Paul stated. "Not your house and all, but sure. I'll go grab a bite."

"Man, it's not your house either," Emmett mumbled as he followed him out of the door.

Carlisle watched us with a fond smile before nodding. "We'll be in the living room."

We sat down, Mike and Joseph looking thrilled. Tyler took a deep breath.

"Yeah?"

"We had a bet." Tyler started, making the two roll their eyes.

"We bought two lottery tickets each," Joseph said. I raised an eyebrow, since Joseph wasn't of age yet. "I paid and Ty got mine, chillax."

"Okay, what happened?" I wondered at the silence that settled.

"Tyler got a winning ticket. He got forty million dollars."

My eyebrows shot up, looking at the humble boy in surprise. "Congrats, Ty!" I stood up to hug him, and he pulled me close.

"We've talked about it, and we made a decision." Mike continued, and I released Tyler, looking at the blond. "Tyler and I are gonna go backpacking in Europe until Jo graduates. Then we'll go to Africa, just as planned."

"Wait, you never wanted in," I told Mike.

"Meh, I'm into Europe." he shrugged. "Besides, now it's easy. I don't need to alter the course of my life, just post-pone it in two years. And, I'll walk the Earth with you guys."

I looked at him, his shining blue eyes. His smile as he looks at the boys who became his brothers. At me, like we are his closest family- maybe we were?- before turning to Tyler. "What do you plan to do with the money? Just, travel with us?"

Tyler shook his head. "Ten millions to me, locked away in a bank to keep me stable for hopefully my whole life. Five for the four of us to travel, and what's left we'll divide. Next week I'm surprising my parents and giving them five as well. Twenty million to charity."

"Woah, that's a lot to charity," Jo stated. "I thought you said you'll take more to yourself, less to charity."

"But so many people need it more. Besides, I'm the luckiest man alive. I don't so much money to feel rich. I'm keeping so much for the sake of my children, who won't have to live like we did when I was younger."

"The only question now, Ash. Are you coming?"

I looked at them. Joseph, finally smiling happily with his hazel eyes and the freckles like stars scattered on his cheeks. Mike, so determined, blue eyes refelcting an ocean of kindness and endless love towards the group that surrounded him. His little family.

Tyler smiled a tiny smile at me, and I finally turned to him.

My father crossed my mind, his hug a comfort I suddenly needed. Bella, who told me she will probably marry Edward sooner than planned. Paul who was probably eating anything there was in the house. The Cullens, who became a second family, just like the pack, who I longed to see.

And Jasper.

Could I leave him, so soon after we were re-united? I felt like any second with him was to be cherished, put in a safe place so I'd never have to lose.

Could I walk out on that?

I looked back at Mike, who tucked his hand into his jacket's pocket, and I answered before I could think it through; my mouth and my heart communicating without my brain, who was left to catch up, still oblivious.

"To the end of the world and back with you three."