10 ; my understandings

Paul gave Bella incredulous look, but Jared was the one who actually spoke.

"I still don't get it, why is the leech after her?" he wondered. "She's just a girl!"

"I didn't say it made sense. But that's why the bloodsucker's been trying to get past us. She's been heading for Forks."

They continued to stare at her, mouths still hanging open, for a long moment. She ducked her head, and I couldn't help but wonder too, what was so big about mates. Was it like Imprints? Was it more? Less?

"Excellent," Embry finally said, a smile beginning to pull up the corners of his mouth. "We've got bait."

With stunning speed, Jacob yanked a can opener from the counter and launched it at Jared's head. Jared's hand flicked up faster than humanly thought possible, and he snagged the tool just before it hit his face.

"Good catch," I complimented, still perched on Paul's lap.

"Bella is not bait."

"You know what I mean," Embry said, unabashed.

"So we'll be changing our patterns," Sam said, ignoring their squabble. "We'll try leaving a few holes, and see if she falls for it. We'll have to split up, and I don't like that. But if she's really after Bella, she probably won't try to take advantage of our divided numbers."

"Split up?" I questioned, and my eyes met Emily's, before we both turned to look at the face of our loved ones. Paul caught my worry easily, and gave me a soft smile, squeezing my hand.

"Don't worry."

"Quit's got to be close to joining us," Embry murmured. "Then we'll be able to split evenly."

Everyone looked down. That was the thing; no matter how comfortable they seemed to be with their fate, here in this happy kitchen, none of these werewolves wanted the same fate for their friend.

"Well, we won't count on that," Sam said in a low voice, and then continued at his regular volume. "Paul, Jared, and Embry will take the outer perimeter, and Jacob and I will take the inner. We'll collapse in when we've got her trapped."

The worry in Emily's eyes grew bigger.

"Jacob thinks it would be best if you spent as much time as possible here in La Push," Sam spoke directly to Bella. "She won't know where to find you so easily, just in case."

"What about Charlie?" she demanded.

"March Madness is still going," Jacob said. "I think Billy and Harry can manage to keep Charlie down here when he's not at work."

"Wait," Sam said, holding one hand up. His glance flickered to Emily and then to Bella. "That's what Jacob thinks is best, but you need to decide for yourself. You should weigh the risks of both options very seriously. You saw this morning how easily things can get dangerous here, how quickly they get out of hand. If you choose to stay with us, I can't make any guarantees about your safety."

I turned to look at Bella, wondering about what would be her choice.

"I won't hurt her," Jacob mumbled, looking down.

Sam acted as if he hadn't heard him speak. "If there was somewhere else you felt safe..."

Biting her lip, Bella eventually spoke. "I don't want to lead Victoria anywhere else," she whispered.

Sam nodded. "That's true. It's better to have her here, where we can end this."

"You'll be careful, right?" she asked, an audible lump in my throat.