05 ; everything has changed

A cough woke me up, and I opened my eyes to see the wall next to my bed. I blinked, confused, when a cough once more was heard.

Paul's arm was around me, holding me in place and his heat made me throw the blanket away at the middle of the night.

"Ashley? Paul?" my father's voice shook me to reality. I sat up, Paul groaning at my movement and turning to face the other side of the bed, falling off.

He woke with a fright.

"Wha--" he blinked, looking around. 

"I will step out, but if you want me to drive you to the rez you better be ready soon." Charlie wasn't looking at Paul, and I knew exactly why. The little morning problem some men suffered from. 

"I plan on going to the rez either way," I yawned, "we'll drive there later."

"Bella's working and has the car."

"Oh, hell," I said. "I'm showering first!" I announced, and Paul crawled back into bed.

"Sure, wake me up when you're done."

"You're such a lazy ass."

"Wuddup Jake!" I cheered as I entered the garage, mouth opening as I saw Bella there. "Oh, Bells. What's up?"

"Ashley!" Jacob stood up, delighted to see me. He hugged me, "where have you been? Charlie keeps saying you're at the rez!"

"Um, I've been hanging out with Sam Uley and--"

"Oh." Jacob said, sounding much less enthusiastic about seeing me. "And why are you here right now?"

"Well, I missed you," I said. That was the truth. Jacob was one of the people closest to me, and I was so close to him geographically constantly, yet made no attempt to see him over the last few months.

"You know, just because you and Paul had a thing going on and he started hanging out with Sam... It doesn't mean you have to as well."

I furrowed my eyebrows, "what does that supposed to mean?"

"It means that Sam and his stupid minions are all about being cool and tough and that's not you."

"Do you even know them that you talk about them like that?" I shot at Jacob, pissed off. Bella sat by silently.

"I know that they're weird and that they act like they're all better than everyone else. I know that they look at me and at Embry like they're waiting for us, they're creeps!" 

I froze up at that. Paul told me that Jacob and Embry are bound to shift sometime soon, but I had no way to reply to that, not without telling the truth.

"You don't know anything, Jake," I simply shook my head. "Soon enough you'll understand, just trust me."

"Don't give me that bullshit, Ash." he said coldly, unlike the Jacob I've known. 

"Whatever Jacob." I sighed, "you wanna give me shit? Call me when your head's in the right place. I'm going back to Emily's."

"Ashley?" Bella called just as I turned on my heel.

"What is it?"

"Um, I'm going home soon," she explained. "Do you need a ride?"

"No, I'm staying at Paul's house," I waved her off. 

I heard Jacob scoff, and I turned to glare at him again. "What? I never realized you two are dating now."

"These aren't your business yet," I told Jacob. "You know when they will be, and when they are, talk to me again."

"What's with those fucking codes?!"

I opened my mouth, almost revealing the truth, before groaning. "It's not my story to tell," I told him. "I'm sorry, but soon enough you'll see."

Emily and I were chatting happily as we cooked the dinner. We were making pasta and pizza, since we both decided the boys have had too much meat as of lately.

"The new brother's in the house!" Jared called happily as he entered the house. "Damn, am I smelling pizza?"

I frowned at Jared's hungry comment once more. He was constantly acting like he eats once a week, while in reality he would eat once an hour.

"Hold on, new brother?" I wondered, and Paul entered the house, followed by Embry Call and Sam. I looked at Embry, confused, when Paul walked up to me, kissing me.

"I love the food you make," he said as he moved away slightly.

"I feel like the whole pack is just using my skills," I sighed, and he laughed, hugging me much tighter than he's ever done before. I liked it.

"You got us!" Jared smiled, already eating an apple since the food wasn't ready yet. Sam walked up to Emily, kissing her lips lightly, before pressing his lips to each of the scars he caused. Even when I had Paul holding me, it still stung to watch.

"So Embry is in now, huh?" I looked at him. "My whole point here is a coincidence and I just make food and make out with Paul."

"That basically explains your role here," Jared commented.

"And Jared is here to finish all of our food and be made fun of. Sometimes he mocks in return, but usually he just grumbles."

"You love me, Ash!"

"I do!" I laughed, throwing an orange at him. He caught it.

"Thanks, I like oranges!" I scowled, and Paul released me, sitting down next to Jared. Embry stood by, awkward.

"So, you just hang out together and stuff?"

"And keep the people in the rez safe," Jared said proudly, getting up to get a knife (he once asked me to throw it at him, and after an argument, I gave in. We were lucky it only grazed his cheek). 

"But we mostly just hope that a blood sucker would come close enough so we could kill it," Paul commented. I rolled my eyes at the comment, but Sam stepped away from Emily, looking like a serious Alpha again.

"We never hope that a cold one will near us again."

Paul looked nervous for a moment. "Right. Sorry."

We fell silent for a few moments, which was unlike us. The pack was loud, always, and if one was silent, all of the others weren't.

But no one spoke up.

"I'm sorry Ashley," Sam finally spoke.

"What for?" I wondered, looking confused.

"For what I said." I smiled, he was funny.

"I'm with Paul, you know."

"For now." Sam reminded, and even from where I was I could see guilt flashing in Paul's eyes. "And I know you loved him."

"It doesn't matter," I shrugged, though I could feel my brain working over-time, trying to remember a piece of our time together, before quickly blocking it away. I didn't love him, I do love him. "He left, and this relationship was doomed since before we even started it. He's a blood-sucker and I'm human."

"But it still hurts," Emily just about whispered, and I knew that despite the fact that everyone heard her thanks to their wolfish powers, it was meant for me to hear.

"Well, it doesn't matter," I repeated. "He's gone." I said, and I felt something go numb in me for a short moment, before I was back to reality, and looked at Paul. "So do you wanna go to the movies tonight?"

"There's this zombie movie, wanna watch it?"

"Sounds good."

"Cool." he smirked.

"Cool."

so I am currently writing another Twilight fanfic named Ophelia that hasn't been uploaded yet but it means that I won't update as much as I want to cuz I be tired cuz work :(

love u guys (and Troy Bolton. I know you're stalking me baby) xx