02 ; when there was me and you

"Ms. Harrison! Ms. Swan! I beg of you, please, keep your mouth..." Mr. Molina trailed off, obviously about to say shut upon realizing it was not appropriate.

I had to silence my giggles and forget what Kelly just told me.

"Wait, for real though?" I asked in a whisper as Mr. Molina turned to the board.

She nodded, "in front of her locker, she was all over him and he was waving her off like she was a bug or something."

"Oh my God, Mike's the man," I giggled, knowing I would never look at Jessica the same again. There's time and place for everything. "I never--"  Can't Back Down from Camp Rock started playing. The obvious thing was to be ashamed, but I was too consumed with the awesome new jam that was my ringtone, so I started singing along while digging out my phone.

SAM ULEY read on it, so I quickly excused myself, telling Mr. Molina it was absolutely important and I had to answer immediately. I mean, it had to be.

Sam never called.

"Dude, Ashley, get to the rez right now." It was Jared, which was even more worrying.

"Jared, hold on!" I yelled into the phone, hearing his speaking further away. He returned the phone to its rightful place.

"Yeah?" he sounded stressed, not the usual Jared who would happily speak about anything from food to his transformation.

"What happened?"

"Sam's lost it, attacked Emily-"

"What!" I heard my voice call in fright, running into the classroom and grabbing everything that was mine. "Is she okay? Is he okay? Where are you? Are you staying at the rez or coming to the hospital? I'm coming right now."

"Wow, calm down, Ash." Jared let out a nervous chuckle. "Emily's at Sue's, she's a nurse so she's taking care of her. It looks bad, but... we're pretty sure she'll be fine. Sam's sure he killed her and ran off, so no. He's not okay. We're on our way to Emily's place, come as soon as possible, so that me and Paul could leave to find Sam."

"I'm coming right now, Jared," I told him. "Thanks for telling me."

I turned to Mr. Molina, "Mister Molina, I am really sorry, but there's a real emergency with my friends, and she might get hospitalized and he's freaking out and I gotta go, and I am really sorry. Charlie will talk to you, see you tomorrow!" and thus I ran off.

I was shaking as I gripped the wheel.

The truck was straining to keep up to how hard I was pressing the gas. When I finally reached Emily's house, I could see a black furred creature standing by, looking miserable.

I gave Sam a long look, feeling sorry but also upset at his actions, before rushing over to Emily and Sue. Paul nodded at me as a thank you before quickly shifting and walking to Sam. Jared stayed with us, trying to help Sue, just as I tried to.

"Ashley, please hand me the--"

A small whine of pain sounded, and we turned to see Emily's eyes open though they were squeezed almost shut from pain.

"Emily!" Jared was the first to react, "I am so sorry-- Sam is so sorry!" he spoke quickly, and I was struck by how much he cared for her despite the fact I don't think they have ever had a real conversation. "We were all so worried, Sam's too upset to even shift back. He's feeling awful, really-"

"It--" she barely managed, her face twitching in pain. Jared's face twitched in the same manner, and he looked just as I felt; devastated.

"Emily, please do not speak," Sue spoke softly. "You will hurt yourself further."

"Oh, God, Sam's looking even more upset," Jared spoke as he looked away. I turned to watch Sam as well, and he looked as distressed as Emily should've felt.

It was a trainwreck- the whole situation.

"Ashley, please keep Emily calm for the next few moments," she then turned to Jared. "Jared, please call an ambulance. Emily's almost stable and we're ready to take her."

"On it," Jared jumped to his feet and I shifted so I would be next to Emily's head.

Emily squeezed my hand, and just barely managed to speak: "Tell him it's not his fault."

"She's such a queen," Paul spoke as he sat next to me. "She explained to the doctors that she was attacked by a bear up North during Salmon Spawning Season. She's awesome, I swear. If my imprintee would've attacked me I would bawl my eyes out."

"I knew you were a crybaby," I said jokingly, bumping my shoulder with his.

 It was much easier to joke around when we were away from the bloody scene, and when we knew Emily's life were safe. He smiled at me, shaking his head.

About to reply, he turned to see Sam walking over.

"Is she okay?"

"She wants to see you," I spoke up, though he talked to Paul.

"And Jared? Where is he?" Sam questioned, looking at the two of us.

"He's with Sue, the two of them taking care of some medical stuff," Paul explained. "But Emily wants to see you."

"Paul," Sam regarded him seriously. "If... Just, tell Jared he's in charge until Jacob shifts."

I furrowed my eyebrows, confused, and so did Paul, before Sam walked off.

"What's he talking about?"

"No idea, but I'll hear him," Paul said simply, and I silenced myself, anticipating the explanation. "He's asked Emily to tell him to kill himself."

"He what?" I inquired, standing up. 

"Wanna go listen in?"

"Hell yes! If she tells him to do so, I'm killing them both myself."

"-- Emily, I can't live with myself knowing I have hurt you." I heard Sam once we've neared the room enough. "Please, rid me of the pain and guilt."

"Sam, please..."

"I can't live with myself. All I ever did to you and Leah is cause you pain. It's better if I were gone."

"Sam, don't speak like that," Emily said softly. "I... It will hurt me much more to live without you than live with this scar. It's okay, Sam. I love you, so it's okay."

I felt my jaw drop as I squeezed Paul's hand, shuffling closer to the door, seeing Paul sitting on Emily's bed, as she caressed his cheek.

I had to ignore the squeezing pain in my heart as I watched them. He didn't say goodbye. When was our last kiss? I couldn't even remember.

"I'm sorry, Emily."

"Sam," she chuckled lightly. "It's okay."

"It's not."

"But it is."

"It's--" Sam fell silent at the look he was given by his imprintee, "I really love you, Emily."

"I know," she said cheerfully, and she pressed her lips to his, flinching back after a moment. "Ouch."

I could see Sam's smile even from where we were standing, and he cleared his throat.

"Paul, Ashley, are you done eavesdropping?"

The two of us smiled sheepishly as we stepped into the room. "Hi," we greeted the new couple.

"How're you?" Paul wondered.

"CONGRATULATIONS!" I couldn't stop myself, and tackled Sam in a hug. "I'd hug you too, Em, but my hugs are dangerous, so I'll postpone it to when you're healed." The three laughed, as Sam patted my back.

"Thanks Ash."

"Wait, what's funny?" I wondered at their laughter. They all exchanged a look. "What? Am I missing something here?"  They laughed again and I frowned. "What?!"