24 ; i can't go on without you

"At least one of the Swan twins appreciate my party throwing skills."

Alice laughed as I wrapped my arms around her, taking her by slight surprise. "I love parties, Alice! I was born to party, and Forks sucks butt in parties!"

The interior of the Cullens' home had been transformed into a nightclub - the kind that didn't often exist in real life, only on TV. I respected that.

Alice was wearing a sequined tank top and red leather pant, while I was wearing a way too short bright red strapless dress, in both my father and Jasper's opinion.

"Do you think anyone will come?" Bella asked from beside Edward, sounding hopeful.

"Everyone will come," Edward answered. "They're all dying to see the inside of the reclusive Cullens' mystery house."

"Fabulous," my boring sister moaned.

"Loosen up Bells, parties are fun even if you aren't." I nudged her before going to Jasper's side who was walking down the stairs with a more appropriate dress, in his opinion. It was red too, so it didn't mess with my color matching, but longer and less revealing.

I frowned at that, and promised to change after everyone will see my looking "super duper cute with that dress that I've been dying to wear for months."

He rolled his eyes, but kissed me shortly and agreed to my offer.

"I think it's time we get Carslile and talk, by the way," Edward noted, and dragged Bella and Jasper somewhere, leaving me and Alice there to make last preparations to the big party.

When Bella and Edward came back, Carlisle in their tracks, worry lines seemed prominent on his handsome famous. Jasper was by my side a moment later, grabbing my hand lightly.

"Something the matter?" I wondered softly, and he shook his head, raising my hand to plant a soft kiss on it.

"Nothing you should be bothered about, darling."

The doorbell rang.

All at once, everything was surreally normal. A perfect smile, genuine and warm, replaced the stress on Carlisle's face. Alice turned the volume of the music up and then danced to get the door.

It was a Suburban-load of my friends, either too nervous or too intimidated to arrive on their own. Jessica was the first one in the door, with Mike right behind her. Tyler, Conner, Austin, Lee, Samantha, and Lauren- trailing in last- her critical eyes alight with curiosity. They all were curious, and then overwhelmed as they took in the huge room decked out like a chic rave. The room wasn't empty; all the Cullens had taken their places, ready to put on their usual perfect human charade.

Bella went to greet Jess and Mike, and I was right behind, throwing myself at Tyler, who stumbled back right into Mike, that went on and on dramatically about no respect for royalty.

Jo appeared right after that with Ben and Angela, and the four of us surprisingly took a side step and allowed Bella to be the center of attention.

The party was a clear success, despite the instinctive edginess cause by the Cullens' presence - or maybe that simply added a thrill to the atmosphere (Mike lost a bet and had to get chips from the food table, where Emmett stood.  When he grinned at Mike the red light gleaming on his teeth, and the poor guy stepped back without a second thought). The music was infectious, the lights almost hypnotic. From the way the food disappeared, that must have been good, too. The room was soon crowded, though never claustrophobic. The entire senior class seemed to be there, along with most of the juniors. Bodies swayed to the beat that rumbled under the soles of their feet, the party constantly on the edge of breaking into a dance.

Tyler had his thigh pressed against me as we stood at the side and talked for hours, Mike and Jo were standing right by us and talking within themselves.