Chapter Fifty-Nine

Peeta POV-

It's been a month and I'm positive that Katniss doesn't want to fix us at all now.

I have tried several times but she is still unresponsive.

Now I understand how she felt when her mother did the same thing to her.

College is the death of my relationship.

All we would have to do is get back together and things would be fine.

Neither of us are going to UP anyways.

Katniss POV- (Two weeks later)

It's been six shitty weeks since I broke up with Peeta.

Every time I see him in the hallway or hear his name mentioned, I lose it.

Sometimes, I look at him when he isn't watching or even when he is watching me.

Our eyes meet and I can see how much he's hurting too.

I can see the familiar longing that burns in my eyes too.

My longing for him, friend or boyfriend is so strong and my heart is literally aching at the sight of the best thing that's ever happened to me slipping away slowly and soon completely.

If I don't do something soon I'll lose him completely.

After this school year is over, who knows if I will ever see him again because other colleges will accept him and there's no telling how far they are away from me.

My grades have been rapidly decreasing so any other decent college that would've accepted me won't now.

All I have to say is 'sorry.'

One simple word.

I repeat it over and over in my head, wondering what would happen if I said it aloud.

"Peeta, I'm sorry." I blurt out, pretty loudly in the middle of third period.

What did I just do?

I mentally scold myself.

Peeta's eyes dart up to mine, coldly and before he can speak, he is interrupted.

"Miss Everdeen, why are you speaking during the test?" The teacher, Mr. Latier asks me sternly.

"I'm sorry, I don't know what I was thinking." I say softly and Peeta's whole demeanor drops from hopeful to depressed and angry again.

"You were thinking only of me like you always do." Peeta mutters under his breath.

"Mr. Mellark and Miss Everdeen! Next time either of you speak, you will have detention!" Mr. Latier yells impatiently.

I have a feeling Peeta knows what I'm thinking, so he keeps it up and so do I.

Maybe detention will be our chance to fix things.

Or maybe not.

It may make it worse but it's worth a shot.