Chapter Sixteen

Peeta POV-

Hopefully, Katniss just gave up on me because I don't know how we could ever go back to where we were.

I haven't heard from her today but I'm sure I will after school let's out.

Whoever she likes is sure lucky though, she's definitely strong-willed.

She doesn't give up without a fight.

I just wish I didn't ruin everything or make it worse when I texted her last night.

And I didn't go to school today either and I am not planning on it for a couple of more days at least.

I just can't face her yet.

Maybe I'll just suck it up and go back to school in District 11.

I'll work longer hours to cover the gas.

Suddenly, I hear a loud knocking on my bedroom door.

"Yes?" I say to whoever it is.

"Peeta, please come out?" I hear my brother say.

"No." I state simply.

"Katniss is here to see you and she said she is not leaving until you talk to her so get out here!" Ryan says.

"I don't wanna talk to her." I say.

It's not that I don't want to talk to her but it's just that I'm not sure what I'm going to say or even my reasoning for being this upset.

She's never going to trust me again after she realizes how selfish I really am.

"Ugh. Come, on. Quit being such a jerk." He says.

What is wrong with me?

Usually I'm not like this but lately I've just been so quick to anger and confused about everything.

I don't understand.

It's like I'm slipping away from the person I was into a person that I never wanted to be.

Why can't I just take a perfect chance when I get it? Friendship or not, I don't care.

Katniss POV-

"I'm sorry, Katniss. He won't come out." Ryan tells me.

I give him a groan.

"You're not leaving without a fight, are you?" He asks.

"Not this time." I mumble with frustrated tears forming in my gray eyes.

"Well, he is in his funk still but I'm going to do you a favor..." Peeta's brother tells me.

"What?" I ask hopefully.

"Come on." He says and I follow him out of the bakery and into their home for the very first time.

"He doesn't wanna see me or talk to me so I don't know why you are doing this." I say quietly.

His brother turns towards me, "Do you wanna try or do you want to give up without a fight?"

"I want to try." I say back.

"Okay, then go up these stairs and the second door on the left is Peeta's." He explains.

I nod my head and sneak the stairs and to the second door on the left, where Peeta is at.

I swallow hard, taking in a shaky breath.

"Peeta?" I say, knocking softly on the door.

I hear a little gasp and a sniffle.

"Go away, Katniss. Please?" Peeta says.