Chapter One

Katniss POV- (August 25th, the Sunday before Junior year begins)

"Prim, you need to get in bed! It's already ten and you actually have to wake up before noon for once." I call from her bedroom.

I hear a groan and my little sister comes stomping out of my mother's room and down the hall, where I sit in her bedroom.

"That's you who sleeps until noon."

I roll my eyes, "Oh whatever." I laugh.

She smiles.

"Get in bed, Little Duck." I say standing up.

Prim sticks her tongue out at me playfully and crawls into her bed.

"You're funny, now go to bed." I say leaning down, kissing her on the forehead.

She yawns, "Goodnight. I love you, Kat." She says softly.

"I love you too, Prim. Goodnight." I say patting her head, shutting off her light, and leaving her room.

I walk down to my mother's room, "Goodnight, Mom." I say, peaking my head in.

"Goodnight." She says quietly.

I sigh, turning around and walking into my bedroom, shutting the door behind me.

I lay out my clothes for tomorrow and reorganize my backpack for the third time today then I lay on my bed, thinking about what this school year might bring.

I'm a junior so that means two more school years and I'm out of there.

One good thing is I have my friends and I know all my teachers so I'm sure this year will be great but I still can't get over this feeling I have been having and it seems to be getting worse and worse the closer tomorrow comes into play.

Whatever it is, it can't be my mom or my sister, they're both fine.

Well, my mom is just the same as she's been for years but my sister is great.

She's my everything.

My dad died five years ago in an explosion, along with my friend Gale's dad.

I was only eleven then and Gale was thirteen.

My mother took it the hardest I think.

Not that I wasn't devastated or that Prim wasn't either, but she was only seven.

We were all really upset.

My mother though, she stopped living.

Not physically but emotionally she left Prim and I.

Not soon after my father died, my mother quit her job but luckily, she just went back about a year ago.

Our relationship really took a toll for the worst because of that.

I couldn't stand her and we still aren't good but we are okay, I suppose.

Things have been a lot better now that we have more money.

She refuses to let me get a job though, I just turned sixteen a few months ago so I can technically work but she won't allow it.

I had to scrape up anything I could and at eleven, that was hard. But luckily for me, seven year olds will eat just about anything.

I did what I could and took responsibility for my sister.

I became my sister's 'mother' when our real mother did not care for us.

I fixed her hair daily, made sure she did her homework and had clean clothes and ate something, even if I had taken it from my lunch at school. I kept the house as clean as I could and I took care of myself.

But she's been slowly working to make things have better, I'll give my mother that.

She and Prim have a better relationship than we do, which is to be expected.

I lost all respect for her after my Dad died and she wouldn't respond to anything around her.

I guess she was numb with pain and I want to be sympathetic but I can't be when she had two kids who needed her to be there for them.

Now, it no longer bothers me so it can't be that.

Whatever I'm feeling can't have anything to do with my family, nor that fact that I have to go back to school tomorrow.

Maybe it's my friends?

But my friends are really great too, besides the fact that I rarely see them anymore.

I decide whatever is bothering me can wait and I try my best to fall asleep.

Before I know it, I open my heavy eyes and see that it's already 3:57am.

I let out a huge groan.

I've been laying here for hours with the inability to shut my mind down, despite my heavy eyes.

I just wish I could get my mind to shut off already but I will say, I at least have an inkling of what could be bothering me.

My friends are all in relationships and busy and I'm always alone.

I've never wanted a boyfriend but that still doesn't mean I don't want someone I can be friends with.

Finnick is too busy with Annie now and Gale is with Madge and although I don't mind any of my friends being in relationships, they're all paired up and I'm left in solitude.

Maybe I am beginning to have a change of heart though?

I've never wanted it but I never thought I deserved it either.

I'm not the relationship type, I'm barely a friendship type of person.

But I don't think any man would ever willingly put up with my stubbornness or my attitude.

I groan, now that I think about it, there isn't even a boy in my school that I am slightly attracted to or more importantly, that is nice enough to want to date.

Besides my best friends, all the boys in my school are assholes.

They always flirt with me or catcall me, which I hate.

So it's pointless.

I should just go back to wanting to be single, it never bothered me before, it definitely shouldn't now.

I finally find my eyes growing heavy once again and I decide enough is enough, so I go to sleep.