Chapter Three

Katniss POV- (Thursday)

Today is Thursday and that means we have been in school again for four days now.

I really enjoy it so far and I'm enjoying all the time I've been getting to myself and surprisingly enough, the time I get with people that I'm usually not around.

I've been helping Peeta and the other new students in all of our classes as they figure out how each teacher works.

The other two seem to not care if I help or not but Peeta gives me his undivided attention when I am trying to help.

I know I was adamant not to be his friend on Monday but I actually really like Peeta so far.

He is very kind, shy, charming and can crack a good joke. But I do keep getting these awful scowls from other girls in the classroom.

And that is probably because even though Peeta is such a good guy, he is also quite attractive as well.

I am not saying I like him, but compared to anyone else I know, he is by far the most handsome.

He has beautiful blue eyes that feel like a window to his soul when you look at him. His hair is an ashy blonde color and not to mention he has a toned body.

That makes sense, a few days ago when we were talking he mentioned he works for his parent's bakery.

The strange thing is I go multiple times a month but I've never noticed Peeta, now that I think about it, I've seen him before but we never talked.

And not only is he a baker but he's also an artist and a talented one at that.

He also informed me that he has lived in District Twelve his entire life, he even said he's seen me around before.

I feel bad that we've both lived here our whole lives but I don't even recognize him.

I really do like him so far.

He just seems so different from my other friends and more caring too which helps.

Don't get me wrong. I love every one of my friends but sometimes they can be overwhelming for me because I do not fit in with them at all.

Plus, on top of that, everyone likes them and wants to be friends with them because I guess they're popular but not the bullies.

The thing is, compared to any of my friends, I'm simple.

The girls are all gorgeous and put together, even the guys are.

And Peeta would fit in perfectly with them but he is so shy and quiet around the others but with me, he is louder and more like himself, I guess.

I think I'm the same way when I'm around him because I feel like a whole new person when I am near him.

I feel like I can be myself completely and I really like that because even near people I call my 'best friends' I don't feel this comfortable with.

Not even Finnick or Gale who at one time I was inseparable.

I get to my fifth period class which is science.

I sit down and Peeta walks in a second later and sits next to me.

"Hey." He says softly, looking me straight in the eyes.

"Hi, Peeta." I say.

"How are you doing today? You look a little-"

"No, I know. I am fine. I really am, how are you?" I ask him.

"I'm okay. I heard from other students we are partnering up. I was wondering if you would be my partner?" He asks me kind of shyly.

I freeze, no body ever wants to be my partner.

I'm usually the one that works alone or is the last option and it's usually because my friends always choose their girlfriend or boyfriend over me.

"Um, I would love to, Peeta." I say truthfully, secretly giddy.

He smiles widely.

"You're really the only person in this school who will actually have anything to do with me." I go on, involuntarily in a flustered voice.

As I realize what I am doing, I feel embarrassed and my face heats up.

I believe I took this farther than it should have gone because he just asked a simple 'yes' or 'no' question.

"Katniss, I don't know why you think no body likes you." Peeta says.

"I don't know but I am not very good at making friends and the ones I have made have been my friends forever. They don't even like me around. And I don't understand why you would want to be my friend of all the people in here." I say back, showing noticeable irritation.

Peeta knows it's true, he just doesn't want to admit it and I'm tired of people denying it, honestly.

"Well, you made me like you." He says.

I look over at him and he goes on.

"You made me want to be your friend and I am sorry you feel like that but none of it is true so do not believe it. Don't let them get to you." He says looking at me.

I stare down at the dirty floor tiles and there's an awkward silence in the entire room.

I know everyone just heard our conversation.

"Maybe if you showed other people how nice you were then maybe you wouldn't feel that way. I know you're shy but there's a difference from shy and rude and you're not rude."

He turns away from me in his chair and I just stay silent.

"Aw, does somebody have a crush on the Kitty Kat?" Some jock snarls at Peeta and winks at me.

I feel my face grow red and Peeta just turns around, ignoring his comment.

Just as the tardy bell rings I turn to him, "I'm sorry." I whisper to him.

He gives me a nod and our teacher walks in.

She quickly explains our project and then let's us go.

That's when he looks up at me, giving me a sad smile, then he puts his books under his desk and slides him desk over to me so we can begin working on our project.

We don't do much talking after that.