Chapter Nineteen

Katniss POV-

Again, we sit in silence for I don't know how long.

We both stopped crying after a while, we were all out of tears, I guess.

I can no longer stand the silence so I break it, again.

"Peeta, why were you so upset when you overheard my conversation?" I ask him, wanting a more in depth explanation than what he gave.

"Because I am selfish." Is all he says.

I shake my head, "That isn't a good answer and I told you to stop saying it."

"If anything, I'm selfish. The reason I asked you to stay that night was because I wanted to really get to know you better. I felt guilty because I only talked about myself and never gave you an opportunity to talk." I explain.

"I didn't care, Katniss."

I pause then continue, "And then you just left and I didn't know why. I wracked my brain out trying to think of what I did but I deserve to know everything now." I demand.

He brings his head up.

Guilt floods through his face.

"Because when I heard you found someone you liked, I wasn't expecting it to be so fast." He whispers and won't make eye contact with me.

We stay silent again for a few minutes as I think about what this truly means.

Was his brother telling me the truth about him liking me?

And was my mother's intuition correct?

I need to tell him, right now.

"Peeta, I don't know how it's possible but I don't just like him. I love him. And I fell for him faster than anyone could ever imagine." I say.

He scoffs and shakes his head, "Love. You see, Katniss. That's why I got upset."

"What do you mean, Peeta?"

"I mean, how could you go from not liking anyone to loving somebody within a couple of days? We didn't even know each other a whole week nor did you have that urge to find your missing piece before you just decide you're in love with some random guy." I say but who am I to judge.

I did exactly that, only with her.

"Peeta, listen to me." I demand.

He looks up at me.

"Listen to me." I repeat.

"I love that boy but he left me. Somehow, it made me want him more. I tried hating him and to move on but it was impossible, even if it's only been two weeks. It is impossible for me to move on because I have fallen completely in love with him and I know that now. I know that I love him." I state and hope he understands.

"No, Katniss. Just please stop?" He mumbles, still not getting it.

"Why did you leave me, Peeta?" I insist.

"I couldn't watch you be in love with someone other than me." He finally spits out.

He just admitted it.

"What?" I ask him, just to get reassurance on his last sentence and wanting to hear from him that it's more than just a silly crush.

That I wasn't stupid for falling so fast because he did the same thing and that's got to mean something.

"I mean that I love you, Katniss." He says, sounding as if he's waiting for the whole world to explode before his eyes.

Immediately, billions of butterflies flutter through me and make me feel as if I'm floating on air.