Chapter Four

Katniss POV- (The next day, Friday)

It is finally Friday and that means tonight is Finnick's party and while I'm excited I'm kind of dreading it if it's anything like most of our get togethers.

Usually, I'm sitting there annoyed by them all but maybe tonight will be different, especially since Peeta will be there.

Even though Peeta and I are just friends, I have him and he doesn't ignore me so that will help.

After lunch I gather my things and head to my history class in Mr. Abernathy's classroon.

"Hey, Katniss." Peeta says coming up and sitting on my desk.

"You're still planning on coming to Finnick's sleepover thing tonight, right?" I ask him.

"I was planning on it but I have a bit of problem and I was wondering if you could help me with it?" Peeta asks me shyly.

"Sure, what is it?" I ask him.

"Well, my brother is taking my car tonight to see his girlfriend and I could walk but I have no clue where Finnick lives." He starts.

"I was wondering if you could come pick me up at the bakery before you go to Finnick's?" He takes a deep breath and rambles on, "Sorry, I'm asking an awful lot for only knowing you a few days but you don't have to if you're uncomfortable with it." Peeta says.

I laugh, "I don't mind at all, Peeta." I say genuinely.

"Thank you so much. If you can't, it's totally fine. I can find-"

"Peeta, I would be happy to. It's not a problem at all and I will come at about 4-ish after I drop off Prim at home. I have to pack my bag for tonight but Finnick wants us over by 4:30 so you can meet his parents before they leave for the weekend." I inform him.

Peeta mouths 'thank you' to me and Haymitch walks into the room, and by walks I mean stumbles.

Mr. Abernathy or Haymitch as he prefers, is an amazing and passionate teacher, I mean when he is sober but when he's drunk, he is worthless.

Which is most of the time...

"Katniss, what pages did I have you read yesterday?" Mr. Abernathy slurs.

"Forty-eight through sixty." I say.

"Great. Act like you're reading pages sixty through eighty and answer questions one through-uh three. But really, just stay quiet, please." He says, rubbing his hungover head and everyone laughs.

He goes and sits at his desk and sleeps while we 'read' from the text book.

After about ten minutes everyone starts whispering.

I glance over and see Haymitch is definitely asleep so I decide what's the hurt.

Peeta and I both appear to be finished anyways.

"Peeta?" I say softly.

He looks over at me.

"I think that Haymitch is drooling on our tests." I say quietly.

Peeta glances over at him and laughs, "I think you're right." He whispers back, making a face.

I smile a little and shake my head.

"Does he do this all the time?"

"Mostly, occasionally he's decent." I say back.

Peeta rolls his eyes, laughing.

Eventually, the bell rings, which signals that it is time to leave for the weekend and I am so relieved.

"I'll see you at four." I tell Peeta as we close our lockers.

"Okay, just come on in and I'll be there." Peeta smiles.

I smile back, "Okay"'I say and go.

It is 3:30 right now and I have to get Peeta at 4. But before I have to get Prim home and settled, take a quick shower and pack my things for the sleepover then get Peeta and make it to Finnick's house before 4:30.

I have a lot to do in little time but I just have a great feeling about tonight.

I pick up Prim and begin to ask her about her first week in middle school.

"All the teachers are nice. They say they remember you."

"Oh yeah?" I say.

"Yeah, they said you were a really nice kid."

I laugh, "I guess. I never talked." I admit.

"They said you were really quiet and smart. And I like middle school but it's just so much. There's a lot of homework and rules." She complains.

"Yes, but there's also a lot of freedoms compared to elementary. And high school there's rarely any rules."

"I love it, though. It's so different and I have learned so much already. I'm so excited to see where it takes me."

"You'll do good, Prim." I assure her.

"Thanks." She smiles.

I love Prim so much and I am so proud of who she is becoming despite all the hardships we've faced.

We get home and I quickly take a shower and throw some clothes into my bag. I grab my sleeping bag and run out the door to go pickup Peeta.

It's now 3:50 so I have about ten minutes.

When I get there I park in front and run in, a few minutes earlier than I thought.

I am greeted by Peeta's father at the counter.

"Hello, can I help you?" He smiles.

"I'm Katniss Everdeen. I am here to pick Peeta up." I say kindly.

His father gives me a nod, "Oh. Okay, he should be-right there, actually." His father says nervously.

I wonder what that is about but I shake it off when I see Peeta out of the corner of my eye.

"Wow, Katniss. No wonder the teachers love you so much, you're here five minutes earlier than expected." He teases me.

I scrunch my nose at him, he pauses for a second, "What a suck up." Peeta says, grinning.

Then I get this sudden urge to mess with him, so I don't say anything back, I just turn my head.

"You know I was kidding."

"No, Peeta, I don't care if you were kidding or not." I give him a scowl and Peeta's father holds back a laugh.

His face drops from a sly smile to a frown and you can tell he believed me.

"Katniss, I am so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings." He says, putting his hand on my shoulder.

I give him a blank look and hold back my laughter.

"I am seriously sorry, Katniss." Peeta says sincerely.

I can't hold it back any more, so I don't.

I snort, "You know I'm kidding." I say back and Peeta gets a shocked, but relieved look on his face.

I just chuckle at him.

He shakes his head, coming over to me and ruffling my hair with his hands, "That was mean."

"Sorry." I tell him with a laugh.

"You got him good." His dad laughs, winking at Peeta.

I smile a little.

Peeta goes behind the counter, finding his bag and we tell his father 'goodbye' and head to Finnick's as Peeta and I make small talk.

"You know you really scared me." He admits.

"I know." I laugh.

He sighs, "I thought we could joke around."

"We can. I was joking around with you after you joked around with me." I say truthfully.

Peeta laughs, "Paybacks are hell, huh?"

"Usually, yes." I smirk.

We pull up to Finnick's packed driveway, just minutes later and the excitement overwhelms me.