Chapter Twenty-One

Katniss POV-

"When I was little, this is where I liked to come up and think about stuff." He starts.

"I would just get away from everything and everyone. Now I have to be on my hands and knees to navigate around but when I was little I didn't. But this is the first time I have been up here in a while." Peeta explains to me.

"This is so cool, Peeta." I say excitedly.

"Yeah, I know it's kinda different but are you okay with it?"

"Yes, this is absolutely perfect. I can see why you like it so much." I reply.

"Well, you asked for my life story so come sit down so I can start because this may take a while." He says nervously.

"I have all the time you need."

I go sit face to face with him.

"I don't know how to start."

I shrug my shoulders.

"What do you want to know?" He asks me.

I sigh, "Tell me about your family, about your parents or your brothers or maybe your grandparents." I offer up.

"Okay, well I have two brothers and two parents." He says with a smirk.

I give him my best shocked face.

"You're lying." I snort.

"Hmmm, tell me about your mom then." I say, maybe I can relate better since mine is still alive.

He swallows hard, taking in a suddenly shaky breath, "Okay, well, I don't really get along with her."

"Why don't you get along with her?" I ask him, understanding exactly how it feels.

"Please, don't get mad at me for not telling you but she-" He hesitates, "My mom, she kind of hits me sometimes." He says.

My heart drops into the pit of my stomach.

"Is that why you were so afraid of me being there when she showed up?"

"Yes but my brother and my dad kept it hushed that you were there so she had no idea."

"Oh, Peeta. I'm so sorry if I got you in trouble."

"No, you didn't. Don't worry about it." He assures me.

I swallow hard, "Peeta, why would your mom do that? Does she do that to your brothers?"

"No, she's never done it to them. I don't know why but she doesn't like me."

"Why?" I ask him, infuriated.

"I don't know, Katniss. I don't know what I did but she always has treated me that way. You know, I didn't believe her until recently." He says, letting out an angry laugh.

"Didn't believe what, Peeta?"

"I hurt you a lot, Katniss. I know I did and I don't understand why I did it."

"What does this have to do with anything?" I ask him, confused.

"My mother has always told me that I am worthless and stupid. I never believed her until my brother told me how much I hurt you and even until I saw you myself, that's when I realized what she sees." He says looking down.

Tears begin to form in my eyes and jolt of anger rushes through me.

Not at Peeta, really but at his mother.

"Peeta, you are not worthless or stupid. Peeta, you told me once that everyone deserves love and respect. You are apart of everyone." I say softly.

"Katniss, I'm just telling you what my mom does and I could see why she does it. I'm not oblivious to it all is what I'm trying to say."

"I don't care if you hurt me or not. People make mistakes but don't believe her for one second." I say.

He looks down, sighing.

I lean forward, putting my lips near his ear, "Don't let her get to you." I whisper softly.

He shivers a little and I kiss his cheek, moving away from him and sitting back down again.

"I'm sorry I brought up your mom and I am sorry that she treats you that way. I thought I had it bad with my mom." I frown.

"It's okay. I'm use to it. It use to bug me but it doesn't now. And as for your mom goes, she at least has a bit of an excuse for the way she acts."

"I guess so. It still doesn't make it fair. I think every kid deserves a good mom but sometimes the cards are just dealt a different way." I shrug my shoulders.

"That's okay. Life isn't perfect." Peeta says.

"Peeta, tell me about you now." I say.

"I have been." He smiles.

"Come on." I laugh.

"I want to know you. Tell me everything. All your hopes and dreams, your thoughts and struggles. Tell me more about your family if you want."

Not everything has to be about me.

A slight smile crosses his lips but he stays quiet awhile, thinking I'm sure.

"What makes you happy?"

"Baking." He is quick to say.

I smile.

"I hope that one day, I can have my own bakery." He begins.

"Really?" I say, mesmerized by his passion.

"Yes. Then I could paint big murals on the walls and have my very own menu. Use my own recipes and make some new ones too. I could hire my own staff if I wanted." He says excitedly.

I smile softly.

"I just think it would be fun, you know?" He says passionately, looking up at me.

"I think you would be great at that." I whisper.

He smiles back at me.

I crawl over and sit next to him and he wraps his muscular arm around my shoulders.

I put my head on his shoulder.

"I hope that one day, you can have that and more."

He kisses the top of my head and leans his head on mine.

Peeta and I sit there in such a comfortable silence and before I know it, I am fast asleep.