Chapter Fifteen - The Masquerade: Part Five

He can see it in your eyes

That you despise the same old lies

So he covers up his scars

And waves at you from the stars

I got up and turned towards everyone. 'And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what happened.' (Every single piece fell perfectly in his theory... except for one)

'Enough joking around. Everyone back to the first floor. We'll solve this case as quick as possible.' said Alexander.

'...What?' I replied hastly, 'But I solved it! There is no other explanation for what happened this night, but the one that I mentioned and that is the truth!'

'What truth? Don't come here and act like a real detective, because surely you are not. You are just a mere writer. Let the actual men who work hard to find your so called truth do their job.'

'Wh-Why don't you believe me?' I asked.

'Why should I? All you did was to present a fantasy sprung from too much wine... Where is your evidence?' He replied.

'It...it does explain why Mr. Teodorescu behaved so strange lately... But it's just too much. He was a stressed out person and he had his secrets, but I highly doubt your theory, Mr. Aim. I do apologise.' said the servant.

'Well then I suggest you inspect his left hand, both of you, if you'd like.'

(When the guests turned their attention to the body, they saw Lily reaching out for the droplets of blood on the carpet, next to Ion.)

'Hey! Don't touch that! You'll compromise the crime scene!' Alexander shouted to her, lunging to grab her.

'B-but...the blood is so-so pretty... it sh-shines in the light so-so pretty.' She muttered, still reaching for the droplets. Alexander caught her by the shoulder and pulled her away.

'Ok, lady, you've had enough wine for this night. Sit down!' He guided her to one of the chairs in the room.

(Sean looked a few seconds at Lily, then continued his discussion with Alexander) ' As I was saying, check his left hand. You'll see your evidence th-'

'You touched the body?' He interrupted me with a straight face, 'No one, except the police can have access to the crime scene. If anyone besides us touches anything... it's contaminated. This means ruined evidence! This means jepardizing the criminal case! I'm not going to allow you to do that.'

'I was wearing gloves, these ones.' I said while pulling out the pair of gloves the policeman gave me. 'Now will you please listen to what I have to say?'

'Sir' said the policeman to him, approaching to whisper something in his ear, 'Sir, remember those small footprints we found on the couch? And the water in the middle of the room? I think he's right.'

'I know he's right, I want to hear his reasoning. Obviously, he deduced all that thorugh a different path. Now I want to know how a mere writer managed to solve a case before us... Aren't you intrigued?' replied Alexander.

'Then why are you so-'

'What are you talking about? I'll do it, if that's what it takes to convince you.' I said.

'You did enough.' Alexander ordered the policeman to inspect Ion's left arm.

(The man approached the victim's body and started unbuttoning his shirt. He took off his coat and his shirt, revealing cut marks on his entire forearm. They resembled the scratches made by a cat. The cut marks formed a name: ANGIE. The 'G' and the 'I' letters formed an arrow pointing to his arm. The 'E' letter had one line thicker than the other ones. Everyone was suprised by the sight.)