[19] the truth

19; the truth

STAR

Sitting in class, trying to listen to what lesson Mrs. Martin is teaching while Liam is sat just right in front of me, has never been so hard.

He's not looking back at me. Hayden is sitting at the other table next to me and I tried catching her eye, trying to find out what's going on between them, but she's also avoiding my eyes. I suddenly feel like I'm the odd one out, like I'm usually not.

"Liam." I muttered underneath my breath, knowing that he can hear me. Him tensing up in his seat confirms that. "Talk to me after school."

With a small nod, I turned my attention back to Mrs. Martin but I can seem to focus on anything but Liam right now. I just want to know what his problem is.

Suddenly, a lot of people are running out around the halls, panicking. We all noticed that and some of us stood up, me standing up as well. When I heard somebody mentiom Corey's name, my eyes widened. I ignored Mrs. Martin and dashed out of the classroom, following everyone who's piling outside.

I made my way through the crowd and saw the paramedics strapping Corey onto the emergency bed. He's coughing out silver. He's coughing out mercury. His shirt is stained with it.

I found Mason, who's hands are also covered in mercury. I placed my hand on his shoulder, him turning to me with wide eyes before hugging me.

"What happened?" I asked, hugging Mason while my eyes are on the mercury-bleeding boy. I can feel how shaken up the latter is.

Mason pulls away from our hug. "H-He just started bleeding mercury. Star, he's a... he's a failure."

I bit my bottom lip as I look back at Corey, who's crying as mercury comes out of his mouth. A hand was placed on my back and I thought it was Liam, but it was Theo with Scott.

"What happened?" Theo asked me, then their eyes landed on Corey.

"He just started bleeding everywhere. I don't..." Mason trailed off to Scott.

"Don't let them do it." Corey choked out, looking at Scott as they started taking him inside the ambulance. "Don't let them kill me!"

Beside me, Theo turned to the latter. "Scott, we have to follow them. We gotta protect him, right?"

I nodded my head, but Scott doesn't answer. He's just staring at Corey as the placed him inside the ambulance. "Scott, come on."

Theo and I glanced at each other, before I looked back at the Alpha. "Scott?"

The latter turns to us but his eyes look distant. Theo then extended out his hand, gesturing towards the ambulance. "Scott, this is what you do."

Finally snapping out of it, Scott nodded and Theo sighs in relief. I go to follow them, but the latter stops me from doing so. "You need to stay here."