Chapter 04: Nahele of the Forest

Start from the beginning

Friends of yours, the words formed on her shoulder blade asked. Hong Luo softened, indulgence relaxing her shoulders. "More than that, siblings, or childhood companions is a more accurate comparison. --From my earliest memory they've been there, for the good and the bad, right at the side of my parents, trained and raised into what they are now, or what they should have been, protectors for this daughter, their only child. --Although not perfect, being more silly minded then a panda, they are still such adorable goofballs one will always forgive, perhaps reprimand a little, but still nonetheless have leniency, and with their intimidating size, that alone would scare away trouble, far far to the other side of the world if need be."

They've never hurt you, he further asked, which resulted in loud laughter, catching the attention of the disgruntled goofballs directing traffic. "Them? Hurt me? Never. As dangerous as they appear to others, the level of threat towards myself is at most pilfered food, or crushed for cuddles. Though they are quite clingy if left unchecked, loving to go a mile once accepting an inch. Yes, they truly are such harmless goofballs down to the core. So you need not worry, for me or yourself. I'll deal with them if ever they get out of hand.---Good, looks like they're done. With them, we'll reach my home much faster. Soon you'll be fine with no need to write out your thoughts, talking up a storm at every given minute, I promise you that. Everything will be okay."

Turning her head to look at the man, expecting to see some small bit of hope, but unfortunately she was met with deathly cold eyes, and a cloud that had risen from the base. This jolted her heart, terrifying her into a statue. No! That was not there before. His eyes were perfectly fine not too long ago. Not good, not good at all! She had been too lax, letting distractions separate her from the situation of her patient. Hong Luo, how ludicrously foolish of you! If any further damage were to be sustained, she didn't deserve to live anymore.

Calming herself down, not showing a bit of her true feelings, Hong Luo smiled brighter and repeated, trying to imbue reassurance in her tone, "everything will be okay. With me here, nothing will happen to you. This I swear."

The man simply laid his chin atop her head once more, no longer communicating with her, and going silent. It was as if the exhaustion was too much, causing him to swiftly fall faint. This was further confirmed by the weight on her back turning heavier.

When her head turned back around that gentle smile was no more and a fierce determination had etched itself into her brows and pursed lips. Hong Luo silently marched herself over to Mo Meifeng, the confused Leopard. She orders for her to lower herself. Both her and the man were then lifted up by Mo Yin the primate, and secured in place by a green vine light aura. As if sensing her wrong mood, the beasts didn't make a fuss, and when told to hurry home, left just like that, with the remaining beasts looking on in confusion.

Still the rain fell, harsh and unloving towards this world submerged in dark clouds, ones that seemed adamant in swirling in place, refusing to move on. The winds cut through the mountains, sliced their way through forest, and into populated areas, stirring up sounds of dread and gloom. It passed by indigenous figures in the trees, ones swiftly rushing out of the forest after spotting an alarming disturbance. Following right behind the racing beasts, it swished Hong Luo's hair past her line of sight. It rustled the hood hiding an ailing face, the bloodless countenance of the dying man on her back. Lightning strikes and thunder booms. The storms outside and inside the heart raging to outdo one another.

• • • •

Barbarian tribe Nahele of the forest.

One of the three indigenous clans located at the eastern side of Ash, which includes the Mashkosi of the grasslands, and the Tahoma of the leaping water. Named after the forest they reside, the Nahele are experts of logistics and tracking, herbology and spirituality. Even though the Nahele are only the second largest of the four great clans, its importance far outweighs the Tahoma, the largest, stretching deep into the capital, the City of Ash, and right into the good graces of Emperor Jie. All the healers residing in Ash came from Nahele, or at least studied in the clan once upon a time, becoming sturdy branches with well founded connections in noble clans, including the imperials.