Chapter 31: End of the road

James' POV:

"I genuinely thought you wouldn't show up. You sounded pretty scared on the phone so forgive me for doubting you".

He walked out from the dark trees with his sinister smirk that sent shivers down my spine. His aura was even more frightening than before. He was stronger, taller than I had last seen him. But I held my head high showing no fear. I did not come this far to be overthrown by a woman beating coward.

"Wasn't that the first thing you taught me. Fear makes you a coward".

"Wow, you actually learnt something from me". He chuckled shaking his head at me.

"I learnt a lot of things from you. I learnt what not to be". And it was true. I observed my father around my mother, around his friends and even public citizens. I vowed to never become like him.

"Isn't that ironic considering how you met your wife". My fists clenched tightly by my side hearing him speak of Isabella. I knew that Chase was the one who told him everything. And that only gave him more to play on.

"From what I heard, you, my son forced an innocent woman into marriage at gun point I believe. Now, what would your sweet mother say about that?".

"Don't speak of my mother" I growled out menacingly.

"Oh come on James, be real. You swore to never be like me and look at you, you're exactly like me and you know it".

"I am nothing like you and never will be".

"Says the man who forced a woman into marriage, abused her, chained her up like an animal and from what Chase told me, almost raped her". He stared at me smiling menacingly for he knew he hit a dark part of my life that I never wanted to think about again.

"Yes. I did those things and I'm far from proud of it. I resent myself for it. But at least I have a conscience. You on the other hand enjoyed being a sick bastard. Slapping children, torturing your men when they failed you and beating a pregnant woman when she stepped out of line".

"You knew your mother was pregnant when she died?".

"Of course I did. We spent time together, something you hated doing. I was going to have a baby sister, but you stole that from me. And you stole mum from me". Anthony shook his head and walked towards me, the moonlight radiating off his face.

"You want to know why I hated spending time with you and your mother. There's so much you don't know son. And it's funny because your wife was in a similar situation. I was forced into an arranged marriage with your mother".

My heart sank. Truthfully, I'm no better than him.

"W-What?"

"You heard me. I was forced into a loveless marriage all because my father, your grandfather wanted to join mafia forces to make one powerful mafia. And to show how much I hated it, I made her life hell" he snickered.

"Don't you think she would've hated it just as much as you?" I growled out angry at him attempting to justify his actions because of it.

"Of course she did. But she tried to make things work between us. Tried to convince me of getting use to this new lifestyle. But I wasn't going to give up my old lifestyle just because of a legal marriage document".

"So why didn't you fight against it? Instead of beating her you should've thrown your fist at the people that forced you into marriage".

"Do you really think I'd be stupid to go against my father? No. I refused to give up my freedom to settle with her. So I made her life hell. Anyway, enough about me, let's talk about how my wimpy son who loved baking and admired his mother turned dark and sinister. What happened? Did your mother's death bring out your dark side?" He smirked wickedly at me knowing fully well that he was getting me angrier and angrier by the second.