Raven

"You throw a lovely party, Tristan," the blonde-haired woman--Amber--said, glancing around the ballroom after she had stepped back from greeting her niece.

He grinned charmingly. "I know. Raven, meet Amber Chase," he added, waving a congenial hand between the two of them.

"It's a pleasure." Raven smiled convivially, taking a sip from her champagne. "You're Aaron and Acacia's aunt, then?"

"And quite fortunate to be so," Amber responded, glancing fondly at Acacia. "Are you two much acquainted with each other?"

"We met just this evening," Acacia answered coolly, before Raven had the chance to reply. "Excuse me, Aunt Amber," she said, her eyes roving distractedly over the crowd swirling around them. Acacia stepped into the melee without a backward glance, and was swallowed up by the throng of elites within moments.

Amber turned back to Raven. "How did you and Tristan meet?" she asked, her eyes trained cordially on Raven's.

A laugh escaped Raven's lips. "It's quite the story," she said. "For me to tell it in its entirety would take far more time than either of us have, but suffice it to say that he won a bottle of vintage scotch whisky from me in Monte Carlo, and that was the beginning of our friendship."

Chuckling, Amber shook her head ruefully. "That's Tristan, all right."

"How long have you known him?" Raven asked cordially.

"Oh, I've known Tristan since he was little," Amber replied. "It was I who introduced him and Aaron, at the Met last year." The hint of a shadow crossed her face. "I've had a rather... estranged relationship with my niece and nephew during their childhood, due to a family disagreement, but we recently reconnected."

Raven smiled. "That must be nice."

"Indeed," Amber said, returning Raven's smile. "I'm finding myself growing increasingly famished--would you like to accompany me on a quest for food?"

Wicked delight colored Raven's features. "Given how Tristan always manages to procure the most talented chefs, I would like nothing more."

*

*

*

A/N:

We're--still, I know--not really going anywhere, but these Raven chapters are essential both for my story planning and chronological consistency. If it helps, I can tell you that the next Raven installment will be more interesting XD anyhoo, vote and/or comment if you enjoyed this chapter, and have a wonderful rest of your day/night!