Kill the Congressman! - part 1

Lubbock POV

As I'm more acquainted with Cyrus, I've been showing him around. I have to say, I have a new rival in picking up chicks. His looks were very impressive, so I have some competition.

"I won't lose to you!" I said into his face.

he just looks at me surprised, "what?"

I walk through the hall with him, I couldn't help but wonder why Najenda chose him to be in Night Raid. I see that he's talented, and he has a very rare Teigu, but why so quickly?

So far, everyone has warmed up to him during the welcome party we set up. it's been two days since he joined and he's already training with Tatsumi and learning to cook from Akame and Susano. I guess he's one of those people who can connect with others normally.

I stop at the door we were heading to. Cyrus stops next to me and we both stare at the door.

"what's so important that you guys are being serious about it?" He asked.

"I don't know. just that Miss Najenda has asked us to come to her office for some reason." I said.

it is odd that boss would call just me and Cyrus up to come in her office. was she discussing something about what's happening in the capital with us? no, she would have gotten all of us if that were the case.

Cyrus knocks on the door, and we hear Najenda inside.

"Come in." she said.

when we entered, Najenda wasn't alone, Chelsea was standing off to the side, leaning on the wall.

"Why did you call for us, Boss?" Asked Cyrus.

Najenda took up a paper and gave it to me.

"it's a contract, it seems a congressman from the empire is taking a trip south. You, Cyrus, and Chelsea will take this job." she said, looking at another piece of paper.

"My first job." said Cyrus slowly.

"Is that all?" I asked Boss.

Najenda looked at the ground, then stood from her chair, looking out of the window. she was deep in thought, I could tell, I've known her the longest anyone here.

"I have... a very bad feeling about this job." she said, her face was full of worry.

Cyrus took the note from me and read it. he flinched.

"it says to that a Teigu user was sighted guarding him." he said, looking as boss.

She nods. "We have no idea what type of Teigu this guard uses, but if he's tough enough to be a congressman's guard..."

she went back into thought, then...

"you will leave tonight, and get him before he reaches his destination in the south." she said, as she walked past me and the others, opening the door.

she looked back at me.

"Wear some heavy clothing, I hear the blizzards are pretty intense." she said.

then she was gone.

Chelsea sighed once she was gone.

"Why am I going on this job?" She asked herself.

Cyrus sits in a chair next to where she was standing.

"Don't act so upset, or is it that bad you have to work with me and Lubba?" He asked.

He adapted to my nickname quickly. and he acts like he never even attacked me before. but I guess that's fine, it's better to get along with him than make an enemy. but he's still my rival.

Chelsea looked at Cyrus, then quickly looked away.

"no, it's just it's distracting." she muttered under her breath.

it seems Cyrus didn't hear her.

"Anyway. I was wandering, what about your Assassin name, Smoke? should we call you that on the mission?" I asked him.

he just laughs.

"you don't if you don't want to. but I'm still gonna wear my mask, it adds... fear." he said with a dark tone.

This guy is an oddball, but it just proves that's why he belongs with us, none of us are normal.

Chelsea then hurried out the door.

"T-then I'll see you guys in about an hour, I'm freshening up first." she said quickly.

could I have been imagining it or... was she blushing?

Cyrus POV

I have to say, I like this place. the whole HQ is pretty awesome, and I'm getting along with everyone except Mine, who hates my guts and calls me newbie.

I walk out into the front with Lubba. I sit down near a tree, and close my eyes. I might as well get some rest while Chelsea is "freshening up".

slowly, I drift into a sleep.

This dream...

I'm about twelve years old, and I'm sitting near a camp fire. the opposite side of the fire, sits my master. He throws another log onto the fire.

"How did your training go today?" He asked.

I smile. "I killed a huge danger beast! it was like, two stories tall!" I said with excitement.

he smiles, walks over to me, and ruffles my hair. I smile, he praises me so simply, but it gives me something to strive for. I have to get stronger, I told myself.

Master sits next to me, and sighs.
"If only I would be able to see your full potential one day." he said sadly.

Yes, I'm reminded every day. My master didn't have long to live, he has a disease that which cannot be cured. it makes him faint every once in a while, but other than that it's just short fevers.

"What did the doctor say this time?" I ask him.

he stares at the fire, it's light reflecting light off his eyes. He was a tall and broad man. he had dark brown hair with a tad bit of gray here and there. he had a beard that went around his whole face, making him seem like a rich man.

"looks like I'm at the end of my rope." he said, then he stood, and keeled beside me.
"listen, Cyrus. no matter what you do in your future, remember that the past can't be changed by revenge. one day, you will forgive everything the people did to you. and it will hurt you." he said, taking me in one of his bear hugs.

"Just remember that I'm always watching." he said as he made me stand.

He opens my Palm, and puts a mask in my hand.
I look at him in question.

"If you are afraid to show your eyes, wear this. it will give you a new identity, a new face. it will make you the dangerous assassin..." he said.

I put the mask on, it closes around my face tight, and becomes comfortable.

"Smoke."

(Hello! hope you enjoyed the memory trip with Cyrus! I will be writing more, so stay tuned!) - MnMs171

With a new mission, what will happen to the group as they head into the south? Who is this dangerous bodyguard they heard of? Find out in the next part!