CHAPTER ONE: PECULIAR

Start from the beginning

Marie sent him a flat look, knowing just how boastful the boy could be. "Fine, let's do this."

The pair distanced themselves from the horses, making sure not to scare them with any sudden movements they were about to make. They found a clearing large enough to offer them the needed space for the upcoming fight.

"Good luck," Marie wished to Gabriel, coming to stand opposite the boy. "May the best Shadowhunter win."

In that frozen moment, Marie and Gabriel examined each other as they took their positions. Their faces were unreadable. It was an important lesson they had been taught from the very young age; never show emotions on your face and never let your enemy see through you. Don't willingly hand them your battling plan.

"Ladies first," Gabriel smirked, teasing Marie with a light hand motion. He had wanted her to attack and Marie sure wasn't going to pass on the satisfaction of defeating Gabriel in a single approach.

The brunette girl ran fast toward Gabriel, lifting her right leg toward the boy's torso. As if trained, Gabriel moved out of the way, directing a punch in Marie's way. The girl turned her body sideways, letting Gabriel's fist slide past her. Next, she seized his forearm and used her body's strength to throw Gabriel over her shoulder.

A loud sound of a body colliding with the ground echoed against the high tree trunks. Marie Wayland was overlooking her opponent with a determined look in her eyes.

Gabriel, on the other hand, had his features synchronised to the new sensation of pain that was travelling along his tall frame. He had not expected Marie Wayland to be so strong to manage to lift him off the ground and right back to it, harshly. He didn't expect to see her extended hand, either.

"Beginner's luck," Gabriel uttered as he accepted Marie's help, knowing all too well that he had been in the wrong for underestimating a girl - especially one like Marie Wayland. He should have known that training with her wouldn't be easy. She had, ever since her return from the Dark House, worked on her stamina and skills, whether it be archery, combat skills or simply endurance exercises. "Besides, I've been going easy on you."

"Honestly? That's your best excuse?" Marie teased. "There is no use in going easy. I need to practice and get better, so do you. We will gain nothing from this if we go easy on each other."

The brunette girl explained. While she had often trained with Jessamine and even Jem, the girl needed to spar with a partner whose movements were unknown to her. She needed to face someone who wouldn't hold back just because she had been a girl, or because she had a tragic past.

"Fine," Gabriel agreed, holding his hands in a surrendering manner. "I shall not hold back."

"Great," Marie nodded her head. "Encore?"

"Encore, mon amour," Gabriel smirked, saying the words of Marie's native tongue before taking the same fighting stance. "Attaque."

And attack she did.

Marie lunged at the boy full force. This time, because the girl forgot to erase her smirk, Gabriel had forseen her plan. Being quick enough, the boy ducked out of the way, making Marie's attempt of hurting him look pathetic. Before she had any time to recover, Gabriel caught her arms and pulled her against him.

Marie's back was tightly pressed against his body, so it came as no surprise when he felt her let out a deep breath. She had tried prying out of his strong hold, but the boy held an advantage over her. "Surrender now?"

Wayland girl turned her head to the side in order to glance at the boy. In no time, she met the ever so familiar green irises. "Today is your lucky day, darling," Marie mocked the Lightwood boy as she sent him a breathtaking smile.