Chapter 31

Tuesday 3rd November 1964

The last few months had been tiring and hard going with the campaign but it was nearly over. It was just after 6pm and things were getting tense.

Jack and Jackie were sitting on his parent’s sofa, watching the results coming in. It was hectic, people were shouting and phones were ringing. “You okay bunny?” Jackie asked.

Jack nodded.

“JACK, GET YOUR ASS HERE NOW!” Bobby yelled.

Jack sighed and got up. Jackie watched as he left the room. He looked exhausted.

“What do you want Bobby?” Jack yawned.

“You somehow just won Texas.”

Jack looked stunned. “How?”

“I don’t know.” Bobby replied. “Maybe they felt sorry for injuring you.”

Jack shrugged. “I’ll have to go back next year.”

Bobby nodded.

After a while he went back through to the living room, a lot of the family were sitting watching the returns. It was now half seven. He needed some air so he headed out on to the beach.

He was walking along with his thoughts when he heard a loud cheer. He suddenly turned to see Jackie running towards him. “YOU WON MASSACHUSETTS!” Jackie smiled.

Jack grinned and pulled her into him. “I love you kid.”

“I love you too Bunny.” Jackie whispered. They kissed passionately, Jack accepted her tongue happily.

10pm

The Sitting Room

Jack was sitting nearly asleep when Bobby came through. “We reckon we’ll get the results just after one.”

Jackie nodded.

“Jack?” Bobby asked.

He looked up. “What?”

“Are you staying here to watch the results?”

“No…..I need to go home to bed, I’m exhausted.” Jack yawned.

“But Jack….”

“No Bobby I need sleep, you can let me know the outcome.” Jack said before walking out. Bobby just stared at him.

“He needs rest.” Jackie said. “The campaigns taken its toll on him.”

Bobby nodded and disappeared back into the campaign headquarters.

12am

When Jackie went home, Jack was lying asleep in bed. He was snoring peacefully. Jackie smiled before getting in beside him, it was agonising not knowing if he was going to be President tomorrow or not.

8am

Jack and Jackie were woken by Bobby running in. “Jack! Jackie! Wake up!” Jackie sat up immediately. It took Jack a few moments.

“YOU WON!” Bobby exclaimed.

Jack smiled and turned to Jackie. He kissed her deeply. “Wow wait to I leave please.” Bobby mumbled.

Jackie giggled. “I’m so proud of you Bunny.”

Jack smiled broadly. “Thank you for helping me.”

“No problem.”

They kissed again making Bobby leave the room. Jack laughed. “He’ll never learn.”

“That he won’t Mr President.”

1pm

The Front Lawn

Hyannis Port

Jack and Jackie appeared in front of the press smiling. They were elated. Jack made a quick speech before going back inside. He guided Jackie to their room and locked the door. “I love you so much.”

She blushed. “I love you too.”

Jack kissed her with such passion she pulled back and giggled. She gingerly nuzzled her neck before they ended up lying on the bed together.