Chapter 22

Tuesday 31st December 1963

Palm Beach

11pm

Jack and Jackie were sitting in the living room of their rented house. Jack was lying stretched out on the sofa watching the New Year program while Jackie did a crossword. “Bunny, what’s the name of the Secretary of Agriculture? I can’t remember.”

“That’s terrible!” Jack exclaimed. “Is that seriously one of the questions?”

“Yes.” Jackie giggled.

“It’s Orville Freeman.”

“That’s it! I knew that!” Jackie exclaimed. Jack chuckled.

He sighed as he watched the presenter on TV. “Do you think she’ll ever shut up about fireworks?” Jack asked.

Jackie laughed. “No it’s New Year’s eve.”

“I suppose so.”

Jack drifted to sleep slowly. Jackie smiled, he looked peaceful. At midnight he was woken by the loud explosions of fireworks. He jumped slightly but relaxed when he saw Jackie. “Happy new year Bunny.” Jackie giggled.

“Happy new year, I hope it’s a better one.” Jack replied.

“Me too.”

They both smiled at each other before kissing. “I love you.” Jack smiled.

“I love you too.”

“I’m going to bed, I’m exhausted.” Jack yawned.

“Ok bunny, will you manage on your own?”

“Yeah.”

Jackie nodded and watched him as he made his way out of the room. He still had to use a stick but he wasn’t as stiff. He was just in pain.