Chapter 11

Andrews Air Force Base

When Air Force One touched down it was dark out. There was a knock at the door followed by Kenny poking his head in. “We’re here Mr President.”

“Thanks Kenny.” Jack nodded.

When they reached the door, Jack could see the huge amount of press that had gathered. As they descended the steps Jackie kept her arm round her husband’s back for support.

When they reached the ground Jack winched in pain but stopped and composed himself. They were about to head for the car when Caroline and John came running towards their Dad. “Daddy!” Caroline exclaimed as she hugged his leg. Jack gently ruffled her hair. “Hi buttons.” Jack said feeling choked up. He began to cry when he saw John, he was saluting. He then hugged his father’s leg. “I love you Daddy.” John said.

Jack badly wanted to hug his children but he couldn’t bend down. “I love you both so much.” Jack said wiping his tears. He didn’t care if he cried in front of the press, he nearly lost his life. He might not have seen his children again.

He took their hands and they followed Jackie to Marine One so they could fly to Newport.

Hammersmith Farm

10pm

When Marine One touched down the butler and maid were waiting to get the First Families luggage. Clint and Jerry carried the sleeping Caroline and John to their rooms along beside Mrs Shaw.

Jackie had her arm round Jack. He had bags under his eyes; he was exhausted and very pale. It had been a long journey back from Dallas. “We’re nearly there bunny.” Jackie whispered.

Jack nodded and slowly walked off the step. He heard a flash and looked up. He saw Cecil standing. “Cecil please not tonight.” Jack said.

“Of course Mr President.” Cecil said as he put his camera away.

When Jack reached the ground he took slow and steady steps to the house. When they reached it the butler Eugene was standing. He’d worked for Jackie’s parents since she was a child. “Mr President is there anything I can do?”

Jack turned and slowly looked at Eugene; he’d always made him feel welcome. “Do you think you could please get me a glass of warm milk?” Jack asked as he rubbed his back.

“Of course Sir, I’ll bring it to your room.”

“Thank you.”

Jackie nodded at the butler before helping her husband walk up the steps. He groaned in pain, every time he had to bend his knees. Once they got to their room the single beds that they normally pushed together to make a double were still sitting apart. Jack gingerly sat down on the bed. “Jackie this is hell.”

“I know bunny but the pain will ease.”

Jack nodded. Jackie began helping him out of his clothes and into his boxers and t-shirt. He managed to pull himself up and pull back the duvet but Jackie had to help him in. She tucked the duvet around him before dimming the lights. “I love you Jackie.”

She smiled. “I love you too.”

There was a knock at the door. “Yes?” Jackie asked. Eugene appeared. “Here you are Mr President a glass of warm milk and I brought you a heat pack.”

“Thank you Eugene.”

The butler nodded and left. Jack put the pad under his back and drank his milk. It eased him. After finishing his drink he took his medicine and quickly fell asleep. It was just after eleven but Jackie wasn’t ready to sleep.

She slipped out of the room and headed downstairs. She opened the door to the cold air. She saw Clint Hill standing further down the garden. She slowly snuck up behind him. “Good evening Mr Hill.”

“Oh good evening Mrs Kennedy, how is the President?”

“Very sore.”

Clint nodded. “I should have taken that bullet.”

“Mr Hill no one died that’s all that matters just please don’t blame yourself. We’ve never really had the chance to talk since it happened, I just want you to know neither Jack nor I blame any of you, you all acted in a great manor.”

Clint smiled. “Thank you Mrs Kennedy.”

“It’s a beautiful evening.”

“That it is.”

“Well I’m going to bed now, I’ll see you tomorrow Mr Hill.”

“Night Mrs Kennedy.”