Chapter 16

Jackie was sitting holding her husband’s hand as the ambulance raced to the hospital. The paramedics had stabilised him and put an oxygen mask on. Roy was sitting beside her staring in disbelief, twice this had happened in a year.

“Mr Kellerman?” Jackie asked drying her eyes.

Roy looked up. “Yes Mrs Kennedy?”

“Thank you for helping Jack.”

Roy nodded and gazed back down at the floor. He felt so responsible. Jackie was watching her husband closely when his eyes began to blink. “Oh my God Jack.” Jackie cried squeezing his hand. He smiled softly but he looked uneasy. He moved his hand to the oxygen mask and removed it. “I love you.” Jack said struggling for breath.

Jackie smiled and put the mask back on. “I love you too.” Jackie said before kissing his forehead. She felt him squeeze her hand. She slowly stroked his nose. She was so glad he was alive.

When they arrived at the hospital they rushed Jack straight into a private room. Jackie was kept waiting in the hall. She was pacing, this reminded her so much of Parkland hospital.

1 Hour Later

Jackie just wanted to see her husband. She was staring out the window when a doctor appeared. “Mrs Kennedy I’m Doctor King, I was looking after your husband.”

Jackie nodded and shook his hand. “Is Jack alright?”

“Your husband’s wound was infected, not badly but enough to affected his blood cells. We’ve got him on antibiotics along with his other medication. He should be feeling better in the morning.”

Jackie nodded. “Is he awake?”

“No he’s asleep but you can see him if you want.”

Jackie nodded and went into her husband’s room. He looked so peaceful. More colour had returned to his face and his breathing was stronger. She sat down and watched him.

8am

Jackie was sitting yawning when she noticed her husband begin to stir. “Jackie?” Jack asked when he saw her.

“Oh bunny.”

“Have you been here all night?” Jack asked weakly.

Jackie nodded. “Yes.”

“Go home and get some sleep.”

“But Jack….”

“I’m going to be here for a while, please go see the kids and get some sleep.” Jack whispered.

“Ok.”

Jackie kissed his head before leaving. When she got outside a crowd had gathered. She sighed and slammed the car door shut.

Once she arrived home she went straight to her and Jack’s room. She pulled her pyjamas on and put Jack’s pull over on, it smelt of her cologne making her feel safe. It didn’t take long from when her head hit the pillow till she was asleep.