Chapter 23

Monday 6th January 1964

The Oval Office

10am

This was Jack’s first day back since the assassination attempt in Dallas last year. Even though Jackie said it was too early, with pressure from aides Dr Travell had said he could return as long as he took it easy.

He walked into the outer oval leaning on his stick heavily. “Good morning Mr President.” Mrs Lincoln smiled.

“Morning.”

“How are you feeling?”

Jack shrugged. “What’s first on the schedule?”

“You have a security council meeting.”

Jack nodded and went into the Oval. He got himself comfy in his rocking chair before allowing his advisors to come in.

11:30am

Once the meeting was over Jack closed his eyes and rubbed his head. He was exhausted. He was about to stand up when Kenny and Lyndon appeared. “Sir do you have a minute?”

Jack sighed and nodded.

“I want to discuss Vietnam.” Lyndon said.

“Go ahead.” Jack replied.

12pm

Upstairs Jackie had got worried, Jack had promise he’d be up by twelve, it was now half past. She was about to go look for him when she heard the door. He struggled into the dining room and joined her. “Hey kid.” Jack mumbled as he sat down.

“Are you alright bunny?”

Jack nodded. “Can I get a whisky?”

“Jack it’s rather early.”

“Please.” Jack pleaded.

“Fine.” Jackie said as she poured him one.

Jack was unusually silent during lunch and even when he went for his nap. Jackie came into his room to find him snoring lightly. She lay down gently beside him. He looked tired.

3pm

When Jack woke he winched in pain and moaned. “Bunny this isn’t right you had three hours in the office this morning and you’re already exhausted. I want Dr Travell to check you over.”

“Jackie I’m fine.”

“No you’re not Jack!”

He sighed. “I know I’m not, moving and stress makes me tired and the pain becomes worse. This is the worst I’ve felt since it actually happened!” Jack exclaimed.

Jackie looked shocked. “You should have said something.”

“Why? No one can help!”

“I’ll help.”

“I need to go back to work.” Jack said as he slowly got up.

Jackie watched him limp out of the room. She suddenly got an idea and reached for the phone. “Hi can you put me through to Parkland Hospital?”

“Of course Ma’am the lines ringing.”

“Thank you.” Jackie replied.

“Hello Parkland Hospital how can I help?”

“Hi I was wondering if I could please speak with Dr Carrico.”

“Of course can I ask whose calling?”

“Jacqueline Kennedy.”

“I’ll put you through.”

“Mrs Kennedy is everything alright?” Dr Carrico asked panicked.

“I have a proposition for you.” Jackie smiled.