Summer: Chapter 2

Börja om från början

“Doing what?” She took a bite of salad and chewed, staring down at the table.

“That thing you do. I know that look.” He grimaced slightly. He felt uncomfortable whenever she searched his soul. He considered it an invasion of privacy and cheating. He couldn't read her soul – not that he wanted to – so her being able to do it seemed unfair to him.

“I made a promise,” she said simply. “But you know my offer still stands. Anytime you want…”

“I’ll let you know,” he replied in an even tone. She did promise, but he didn’t want her to know about all those times he felt a surge of rage whenever another man’s eyes rested on her, or how his cells danced a jig whenever he touched her.

The music in his head was bad enough. He had gotten used to that. However, women just shouldn’t know some things about their men.

“Actually, I was thinking about something else,” she said smugly.

“What?”

She waved to the table, “Thank you for this. It's really good.”

His eyes narrowed. It was alright for him to constantly change the subject, but whenever she did it, he thought she was hiding something. Min kept secrets like dogs kept fleas. But to reassure him that her sentiments were real, she leaned over and gave him a quick kiss.

Bono crooned out “One” in his brain, but he pushed it aside. “So, what else did you get for your birthday?”

“Oh, the girls gave me a locket, but Mae broke the clasp when she took it out of the box. I'll need to get it fixed.” She smirked and he imagined the real scene: Mae trying to wrestle the locket away from Ashley or one of the other girls.

Another thing about Min. She always assumed that he wasn’t confident in her abilities to control the girls. Most of the “accidents” were kept secret from him, but he only had to call Ashley to find out the whole truth.

He rose from his seat and brought over the two wrapped boxes from the side table. “Then you won't mind a little extra spoiling,” he said.

She pursed her lips, and he grinned at her. Min didn’t like it when people give her gifts, and she told him not to get her anything. She finally put her foot down about the flowers a few weeks ago. Especially after Mrs. Baker bellyached loudly about her allergies.

“Silas,” she started to complain, but he set the boxes on the table and said, “Choose,” before any more words came out. She huffed at him.

“I only get one?” she asked him, playfully annoyed. He shook his head, unmoved by her humor, and nudged her with his eyes.

She picked up the one with the green ribbon, toying with it for a moment. Finally, he took it from her hands and unwrapped it himself. She frowned at him.

“That is supposed to be my job. It is my birthday,” she said, but folded her hands in her lap and allowed him his tenacity. Inside the box was another box – a small jewelry case. Silas cradled it in his hands and scooted out of his chair to kneel down in front of her.

Instantly, she shot out of her chair. “What are you doing?” He rolled his head along with his eyes and grabbed her hand, pulling her back down. “Sit down, Min. I am not asking you to marry me – yet. And you're ruining my present.”

She sat down and edged back into the seat as far as she could go. Silas looked up at her, beseeching her to behave. She huffed again and nodded for him to continue.

“Thank you,” he began. “As I was saying, this is not an engagement ring. It is something else.” He cracked open the lid. Tiny emeralds, in the same cut as the earrings he gave her in the hospital, reflected the afternoon sunlight. They were set in a thin gold band that was just wide enough to be noticeable when worn. She reached out her hands, and he placed the box in them, all the while watching her reaction.