Locked Away

based of a story i read in a story.  whoop- (i also wrote this in, like, an hour, please send help it's prob bad-)
category: oneshot
word count: 1468

The castle itself was immense, stretching up more than a hundred meters, the width of it even larger.  The walls surrounding it were immense, higher than the castle that lay in the middle of it.  They were impossible to climb, and only had one opening.  Curiously enough, though, that opening was enclosed by a door sealed shut by twelve locks on the outside of the door.  No one was let in or out without the twelve locks.

This castle was called αφίνω, Afíno, by the people of the country who never dared to go to the place.  Righteously so it was--a supreme sorceress had raised the castle from the under ground itself, as the legend had it.  For what reasons, time had lost, but the keys they time hadn't; the twelve keys were scattered across the realm, prompting years worth of adventuring to find.  Whatever the sorceress had placed in there she had intended to keep locked in forever, trapped alone until the end of time.  Such was her intentions, but no intentions truly will always be 100% fulfilled.  Two children, one blonde, the taller of the two; and the other brunette, the smaller, had someone managed to find their way into the castle, but, as the sorceress had intended, there was no way out.  None yet, at the very least.

The children, too young to realize their mistake and to dread it, explored with glee, always together and side by side.  No discovery would go without the other's knowledge.  One of those discoveries happened to be the refreshing food on the grand dining table, resetting at each time for breakfast, lunch, and supper.  A spell put in place by the sorceress, no doubt.  Perhaps the being she had locked away wasn't one she had wanted dead.  The being, of course, the two found--the remains of it as such.  Within their wildest dreams, that'd dreamt up a huge monster or a ferocious demon, but all it was was a human.  Its bone were frail, looking as though it were bound to collapse into dust at any seconds.  Being children, they dubbed it Jack.

Before the discovery of the ever-abundant food, though, the blonde had managed to craft a horrible-yet-functional bow, proclaiming that he would shoot down any bird that would ever fly in.  How he was planning to do that without any arrows, through, it is unknown.

Now, as the months went by, the children left each other's sides to explore on their own--climbing up into the towers, exploring the intricate system within the massive castle itself.  Despite its largeness, the castle only had so much to offer, and, within time, the children soon grew bored and homesick, wanting to go back to their village.  They tried the refusable door to no avail, but then began to search along the walls.  The brunette was the one who had found it.  There was a small hole in the wall and, with a bit of difficulty, managed to squeeze through.  Ecstatic to be out, he jumped with joy before managing to squeeze himself back in and ran off to find the other child.  Upon finding him, the brunette blabbered excitedly about what he'd found and practically dragged the other over to the hole to which he, once again, squeezed out of.

The blonde was reluctant, though.  He was taller than the other and had a larger build.  The brunette had had difficulties squeezing through, and he knew he wouldn't be able to fit through as well.  Upon hearing this, the brunette announced that he was going to go back in so the blonde wouldn't be there alone, but the blonde adamantly refused.  Stubborn, the brunette tried to refuse the refusal, but was shot down again.  Seeing the distress the brunette was in about leaving him, the blonde reached into his pocket and pulled out a treasure that he had found within the castle: a golden locket.  Through the hole they clasped hands, the brunette's eyes filled with tears as he promised to embark to find the twelve keys to free the blonde.  The other said he'd always wait for him, promising to never forget him.

It had been over ten years ago since Gusion had left the castle, over tens years ago since he had left Alucard alone with a promise to hold onto.  To br exact, it had taken him twelve years--one year for each key.  He'd battled mythical creatures, cheated death, and trodden on land where none had before.  Along his way he had met many allies, some who were currently riding on horses besides him.  Some had temptations--for instance, a pinkette he had met upon his journey named Lesley had fallen for him, to which he rejected.  When he was asked why, he had merely shaken his head.  What was he to say--as the years went by, his feelings for his childhood friend he had abandoned had drastically changed?  Gusion couldn't help it, couldn't stop himself from thinking of it, of him.  How would Alucard look now, with his soft unruly hair and bright blue eyes?  How tall would the other be now?  No, most importantly: how would Alucard think of him now?  Did he hold resentment towards Gusion for abandoning him like Gusion did himself?  Or, rather, did he still accept it as he had all those years ago, and was still there, waiting for Gusion?  Every once in a while, when Gusion would have a moment of peace and quiet, his mind was drift to the scenario of the latter, his heart pushing its wants into his imagination.  Gusion would open up that refusable damned door and there Alucard would stand, both pausing before they ran to each other, meeting eachother halfway to where Gusion would practically collapse into Alucard's arms because finally, finally, he had fulfilled his promise.  And, then, as the two would pull away from eachother, Alucard would lower his head and--

"Gusion?"  His name being called snapped him out of his fantasy, the familiar jingling of the twelve keys in his pocket ever being able to be heard by him.

"Yes?"  He answered, gaze turning to the person who had called out his name--Miya, an archer and royal of the land and one of his first allies on his journey had called out his name.

"We should be upon the walls of Afíno soon."  She informed him and, as a second thought, added on, "Are you ready?"

Gusion nodded, an exhilarated grin coming onto his face.  "I've waited twelve years to free him.  I'm more than ready for such an overdo event."

Miya gave him a smile before maneuvering her horse back to her spot in their small group.  As she had informed him, the walls of the castle soon were upon them, and they travelled the outskirts of them until they reached the door.  Quickly, Gusion dismounted, practically running over to the door as he reached into his bag, taking out the twelve keys as the rest of the group gathered around.  With trembling hands, Gusion placed the keys within their corresponding locks.  He pushed the door open, its metal hinges screaming from use after its hundreds of years of disuse.

Standing in front of Gusion stood a tall, blonde man with blue eyes, a bow in his hands with an arrow pointed at Gusion's heart.  There was no recognition in his eyes.  "I am the Guardian of the Forsaken Castle.  Leave or die."

Vaguely, he heard Miya draw her bow besides him but was too caught up in the moment to care.  "Alucard!  It's me, Gusion!  It's been twelve years, I-"

The arrow was released from Alucard's bowstring, whistled through the air before where it would have struck Gusion's heart if it had not been for the locket given to the brunette before his departure.  Thankfully, on the journey on horseback, it had came out from its tucked place underneath the brunette's shirt and rested instead upon the outside of it.  Then, recognition flashed into the blonde's eyes at the sight of the item that had blocked his fatal shot.  The recognition lasted only for a brief second, though, as a second arrow came flying out from beside him, striking Alucard in his chest.  He fell.

"Alucard!"  Gusion screamed out, running over to the fallen blonde, falling down onto his knees as he looked down into Alucard's eyes, sight blurred with his own tears.  The two locked eyes, so many emotions passing through them without enough time to say them.  With a sob, Gusion choked out, "I love you."

Alucard's lips parted, but the words died on his lips, fading from the world as such as the speaker's soul had.

An anguished cry left Gusion.

Alucard was dead.