37. "And you're telling me this now?"

(1629 words)

"Please tell me, is everything okay at AB Enterprises?" I desperately asked one of Ethan's employed people on the phone, Brandon.

"Ma'am, there was a fire at one of the floors according to what I've heard. But I think it's been taken care of now." He replied.

"Which floor? Was it Ethan and Zayn's floor? Is anyone hurt??"

"I think it was, ma'am but there's no authentic information about that yet. I've heard a few people were hurt and rushed to the hospital. I'm headed to the office now. I'll update you."

"Alright. Thank you." I said and quickly hung up, sitting down weakly on our bed, trying to even my breathing.

There was a knock on the door. "Come in." I said and Mrs. Kipler walked in.

"Ma'am, I was just told that Mr. Ethan and Zayn Woods, both never reached office." She said, making my eyes widen.

"What?! How's that possible? Where could they be then?"

"Ma'am, perhaps they had a meeting or something somewhere else." She suggested.

"No! I knew Ethan's schedule. Today he was about to have a very important meeting that was to be held in his office!"

"Well ma'am, let's look on the positive side of it. If they didn't reach office, it means that they didn't become victims of the fire."

I shook my head. "I still can't help but worry."

She placed a hand on my shoulder. "Ma'am, don't worry. They'll be fine." I quietly nodded and then she took her leave.

———

I was pacing around in our room. There was still no news of Ethan and Zayn but apparently, the fire had been extinguished. I had tried calling Ethan multiple times but his phone was out of reach.

My anxiety continued building up as I paced back and forth by the bed, trying my best not to imagine horrible scenarios. Maybe Mrs. Kipler was right. Since Ethan hadn't actually reached his office, it meant he hadn't become a victim of the fire. But then why was his phone out of reach? Where could he have gone instead of his own office where he was scheduled to be?

My anxious thoughts were interrupted by the bedroom door opening. My breath got caught in my lungs as I took in the sight of him. His hair tousled, his tie missing, the top two buttons of his dress shirt open and his face showing signs of stress.

"Ethan?!" I exclaimed, rushing up to him and crashing my body into his. He wrapped his arms around me and kissed the top of my head.

"Where were you?! I was so worried. I heard about that fire. I thought I was going to lose you. I called you so many times. I—"

"Hey, hey, hey," he said in a soothing tone. "Love, I'm okay. I was talking to the police. We were trying to figure out who could've done this. There must be some signal problem there, that's why I didn't get your calls." He explained.

"You didn't get hurt, did you?" I asked him.

"Nope. Not at all. When I arrived, the floor was already on fire." He replied.

"Wait, so, I saved you by making you late?" I asked, the thought of him possibly getting hurt if he had been there early, rushing to my head.

"Yup. You're an angel. And you were being apologetic for making me late." I bit my lip and mentally thanked God. That morning sex was definitely a good decision...

"Ethan! I think I know who did this." I said, remembering Aaron's texts.

"Who?" He asked, frowning slightly, looking down at me intently.