5. The Debate Competition

(837 words)

"There you are, Ana! I've been looking everywhere for you!" Elsa spoke shrilly. Oh no, she found me.

"Hey, what's wrong?" She asked, lowering her voice when she saw me sitting alone, probably looking distraught.

"I don't know how to tell you." I told her, sighing sadly.

"Ana, you know you can tell me anything." She said, placing her comforting hand on my arm.

"Ethan Woods..." I trailed off.

"Is really hot, right?" I chuckled at her response.

"Yeah, but..."

"But?" She prompted.

"I like him."

"Aww Ana. That's it? You had me worried. Who wouldn't like him? He's hot." She said as if it wasn't a big deal.

"He held my hand yesterday." I said.

"WHAT?" She shrieked, making me cover my ears and grimace.

"Yeah..." I trailed off again, after recovering from the assault on my ears.

"What the hell are you talking about, Anastasia Kaden?" She boomed as if I had committed some sort of crime. I told her the whole story.

"Oh. My. God." She almost yelled.

"I know." Was all I said.

"Hurry up. Get up. We need to go to the auditorium. We need him to see you." She said, standing up and pulling me to my feet.

"Elsa, are you insane? We are not gonna let him see me!" I said sternly, glaring at her.

"Hell yes we are! And there's nothing you can do about it." She said and turned on her heels, dragging me. I had no choice but to follow her. Oh God. What'll happen now?

My heart was beating hard in my chest as we walked to the auditorium. I was on the verge of fainting as I stepped foot in the auditorium and saw Ethan sitting on a special chair on the stage meant for the chief guest which was himself. A girl was delivering her debate on the stage and he was watching her intently.

Elsa dragged me to the front row. We couldn't find any empty seats and she insisted that we stand close to the stage. Please don't let him look at me. My heart was beating so hard, at an unhealthy pace. I felt as if I might die any second. Yeah I know that sounds really stupid and exaggerated but that's just how I was feeling.

The girl's debate ended, there was applause all around. A few girls yelled Ethan's name. And then Elsa did too. "ETHAN." She shouted, waving her hand in the air. She had a natural microphone in her vocal chords, and due to us being very close to the stage, Ethan snapped his head in our direction. That was when our gazes locked. Damn. The name of the next contestant was called and she began her debate, but Ethan was focused on me. I swallowed nervously, my heart constantly palpitating, my palms becoming sweaty and my breathing shallow.

I tried to look away from him but failed. It was impossible to do that. His beauty was so charming, so alluring and captivating. His dark brown eyes held so much depth. There was a ghost of a smile on his lips as he continued to gaze at me. Contestants came and went, and I doubted that he paid much heed to them. In the end, he was invited to speak about the function. I watched as he rose from his seat and walked to the rostrum. He spoke so gracefully and eloquently, eluding confidence. He had an air of professionalism around him that made him appear super attractive and poised. His eyes would roam around the auditorium but eventually settle on me. When he ended his speech, everyone applauded and hooted. I only ever applauded if I was extremely moved or impressed by someone's speech and his was without a doubt, my favourite one out of all those I had heard throughout my existence. Plus, his voice. Damn, his sexy voice. I put my hands together and heartily applauded for him, fully acknowledging his dialogue delivery skills. His eyes held mine as he walked back to his seat. The whole auditorium was then in uproar as the results were being compiled.

I tore my eyes off of Ethan and turned to Elsa. "Let's go outside please." I said in her ear, feeling overwhelmed, and to my surprise, she agreed. We walked hand-in-hand out of the auditorium. "Elsa! Please accompany me to the bathroom." Sylvia said, appearing out of nowhere. "I will never understand why you can't go to the bathroom alone." I commented, shaking my head.

"Sylvia needs company lol. We'll be right back, Ana." Elsa said, leaving my hand to take Sylvia's and I watched as they both disappeared from my sight. I sighed and was about to turn to the side when someone grabbed my hand and dragged me to God knows where. I was pushed gently to a wall and hands appeared on either side of my body, trapping me in between. I looked up at the person in fear. Oh Lord.