Chapter 12

"You have to be shitting me..."

"What? What's up?" Sophia asks.
"That's uh...that's my boyfriends mother." I say. I pinch the bridge of my nose.
"Oh my god Tori I'm so sorry!" She puts her hand on my arm.
"Well that's not the sad part, the sad part is I never met her." I say. I bend down. I take the white, plastic sheet off of her.
"Shot vertically through her jaw. Jeez." I shake my head.
"She's struggled obviously. Is that a?"
"Rope mark around her neck...yep." Sophia answers before I ask.
"Oh my god. This is horrible. Toms told me he's a mummy's boy and he loves his family more than anything so she must of not been kidnapped for long because he would of known." I say.
"Okay," Sophia starts writing.
"Are you gonna really write an article about this Soph?" I ask.
"I'm a journalist Tori, it's my job." She says.
"But you were a detective once too." I say. She pauses.
"But just think of the headline.      "Actor Tom Holland's mother, kidnapped and shot to death""
"That sounds absolutely scarring and horrific Sophia." I say. She shrugs.
I get a call. It's from Tom.
"Hey what's up?" I ask.
"My...my...the police just called my dad who just called me Tori...my..." he breaks into tears.
"Tom what's wrong?!" I ask, knowing fine well what's wrong.
"My mums dead Tori!" He raises his voice, audibly upset.
"Are you going to your parents?" I ask, rubbing my forehead.
"No I'm going to the crime scene where everyone else is going." Shit shit shit.
"I'm pulling up just now, I'll call you later. Bye." He abruptly hangs up.
"They're coming! He's coming!" I whisper shout to Sophia.
"So?" She raises one eyebrow.
"He's gonna find out that I am investigating his mother's tragic death!" I see him in my peripheral vision. Shit.
"Tori?" He stops in his tracks and just stares at me.
"Tom..." I say.
"This is what you were called to?" He asks. Slowly walking towards me. I dip back under the police tape.
"Yes...I didn't know who it was until I got here Tom." I explain softly.
"This was your similar situation..." he asks, not looking at me.
"Yes...but I'm obviously here." I say softly. He shoots a sharp look at me then clenches his jaw.
"I'm sorry Tori." He brings me in for a hug.
"What?" I ask confused.
"I'm sorry you had to go through shit like this." He says, hands still on my waist.
"Tom it's fine it happened a while ago I'm fine now." I explain. He's so sweet.
"But your not."
"Wha? Yes I am!" I start to get defensive.
"Tori. I went to your bathroom to find an extra toothbrush and I saw the pills you take." He whispers softly. Shit.
"Tom can we talk about this later I need to do my job." I push away from him angrily.
"Tori! Come on!" He shouts after me.    I dip back under the tape.
"It's none of your business!" I shout. Luckily the sounds of everyone else crowding round was distracting enough from my raised voice.
"Tori, I'm sorry I-" I cut him off.
"Just...help me do my job please. Keep our private life out of this." I say a little softer.
"Yeah. Fine." He says obviously bothered.
"Here you go." Sophia hands him a pass and he goes under the tape.
"Your mothers name is Nicola Holland?" Sophia asks.
"Yes." He answers.
"I'm really sorry." Sophia says.
"Thanks." He says.
"You're okay with graphic views right?" I double check.
"Uhhh. Yeahhh?"
"Tom really are you okay with seeing your mum like this?" I ask seriously.
"Yeah of course." He shakes his head.
"Okay." I take the white sheet off her.
"Oh my god..." Toms face drops and goes white.
"Tom if you can't handle this then-" he cuts me off.
"No Tori it's fine." He clenches his jaw.
"Well. She was shot vertically through her jaw. The bullet is still in her skull somewhere." Tom gulps.
"She shows sign of struggle and there is a rope mark around her neck." I explain.
"Okay..." he gulps again just staring at her dead body.
"She has cuts and bruises all over her and as you can see. Was found naked which gives us the impression she was sexually assaulted." I say.
"Oh my god." Tom stumbles. I catch him.
"Tom why don't you just go and sit down and we'll get you a drink of water okay?" I direct him under the tape to one of the officers who then takes care of him.
"At least we know it's not the same guy." Sophia adds.
"Yeah I guess...but why Nikki Holland. What's special about her?" I ask, sitting down.
"Tori...I've got it." Sophia beams.
"What?"
"Someone must of found out about you and Tom! They were jealous and they wanted revenge. Or they just hated either one of you." She explains as she writes her pitch down.
"You're right that's a strong lead." I say getting up.
"We need the autopsy report done ASAP." I say to one of the officers.
"I'm gonna find that son of a bitch."