Chapter 28

"You don't want to be late," he heard from behind.

 He turned around, flower in hand, and approached the door. "Oh, we wouldn't want that."

 "A flower for your betrothed? How cute."

 "I have to start somewhere, Dill. I guess this is it. Everything tonight was arranged by the queen. Tallis knows that, House Emberiz knows that. I would like to go to her tonight with something from me."

 "Clever. You will endear yourself to Emberiz through this gesture."

 "I hope so."

 "You're trying and that makes me happy. Guarded, but happy."

Both men smiled as they walked through the unusually empty palace until they reached the courtyard by the lake. Everything along the way had been swathed in flowers and ribbon and members of various noble houses greeted the men as they made their way to the fountain at the center of the courtyard.

Members of the noble houses began to gather shortly before the dinner hour, as was protocol. All had arrived in their courtly finery. Fae ladies and gentlemen of various races - wolfen, snakefolk and bearfolk - lined the path dressed in the finest silks and heavily embroidered brocades the palace had ever seen. When everyone had gathered, Turi's uncle Levin led House Emberiz to the front by the fountain where Gannon waited with Dillion.

Lord Levin approached Gannon and shook his hand. He was a short, squat hybrid wolfen fellow with dark gray fur surrounding his pale, wrinkled face. He wore a fine dark brown velvet suit with brown embroidery and a burgundy neckerchief. His grip was slight and weak. Gannon adjusted his handshake so as not to appear dominant, but not so weak that he appeared acquiescent. Lord Levin smiled as he spied the teacup, and as his noble house filed in behind Gannon, he joined them.

Kirwin and Aurora led House Lupuna to the other side of the fountain, and all the nobility bowed until they reached their position. Dillion joined them.

 "You look lovely, mother," he whispered.

She was queen, ruler of Taladae alongside her husband. She spent copious amounts of money on everything. She had to look her best. Everything had to be the best. She was tall and thin, and moved so gracefully, it seemed she floated on the air. She even wore long dresses so that it appeared she did float. She had very dark skin, almost blue it was so dark, and her hair and eyes were light brown. Tonight she wore her hair in braids atop her head, with a few falling around her face, framing it nicely.

"I see you cleaned up your brother," she whispered. "How long did it take this time?"

"Mother..." he warned through a smile.

Kirwin patted his wife's hand as it rested on his arm. This was a warning. All the noble houses were here. This was not the time or place for such a show of discord.

Kirwin looked the part of the king, stately, almost majestic. He wore ribbons, a sash, pendants that pesants had no name for. His power was obvious from his dress, as he believed it should always be.

Padraig arrived shortly after his parents. He was surrounded by his usual hangers on, including Gaduriel. Padraig wore his uniform as well, but he was lax in his manner of dress. Where his father and brothers were well suited, pressed and polished, Padraig appeared far more relaxed and at ease. His hair hung loose around his dark face and he'd clearly not shaved. Even his jacket remained unbuttoned, a serious lapse in judgment.

Gaduriel of Limbenshir wore his tribe's military finery like a true statesman. He wore the dark green uniform of the wood elves, finely pressed and polished, his long white hair pulled back and tied with silver ribbon. His pale white face bore the marks of a master hunter and bowman, the marks swirling in light blue just beneath his eyes, over his high cheekbones and covering his long, pointy ears in a stream of tiny runes. Only he and Padraig knew what they said.

Padraig and Gaduriel walked side by side and looked like old friends. They settled behind Kirwin and Aurora. Aurora watched as they walked past her, then she sneered at Gannon. Padraig's lack of preparedness was all his fault.

Gannon stood alone in front of the fountain, holding his teacup of pelliwort, waiting for his betrothed. Turi broke protocol and approached him, his trusty pet by his side.

"You look like a man on the wrong side of a hanging, my friend," he whispered as he bowed to him. "Flower, for my sister? Good show, my prince, good show."

Gannon smiled and laughed. The tension seemed to ease just enough that no one seemed to notice the dinner hour had passed.

Moonlight settled over the courtyard as the throng of nobility stood patiently, silently, waiting for Lady Tallis to arrive for her ball. Gannon waited, teacup in hand.  Turi paced the ground behind Gannon, his sister was usually punctual.

"This is a special occasion, and women are wont to take their time getting dressed. I'm sure she's on her way." Gannon tried to calm his friend, but the public embarrassment House Emberiz was currently experiencing could not be quelled by mere words.

Sweat collected on Turi's brow and even his pet stood tense as Turi paced back and forth behind Gannon. Still, they all waited, as was protocol, for the young maiden to arrive with her ladies-in-waiting.

The bell tower struck ten o'clock and clouds filled the night sky, obscuring the bright yellow moon. She'd missed their appointed time. All the very expensive preparations were for naught. The nobility began to thin out, whispering and gossiping as they went home. Turi had stopped pacing by then, his nicely starched clothes damp with perspiration. He was more than angry. After all he'd done to make this happen. After all their uncle had done. After the public show that Gannon had arranged for his sister at her request, she had left him to wait. A waste of public funds. The gazette would have a field day with this turn of events.