Chapter 54

Gannon awoke alone to the sound of birds chirping. The cool morning air stirred delicate flowers that surrounded him in the center of his garden. The dirt had been turned, but was neat and damp. Gannon remained on his side, examining the small grouping of red pelliwort closest to him. Dew had collected on the petals and the stem and leaves were fuzzy and damp. The wildlife was abuzz around him, as blue jays and maui sang and called to one another. A loon flew overhead, casting a brief, dim shadow over the garden.

"If I don't rise now..."

Gannon slowly rolled around in the patch of pelliwort just off the main path. The scent tickled his nose as the soft petals rubbed against his skin, depositing their delicate scent upon his naked body. He slowly sat upright, stretching his arms high above his head and yawned, bits of dirt falling from his moist skin.

He stood in his beautiful garden, naked, and quietly returned to his abode. It was pristine, like he hadn't left everything in a trail leading outside the previous night. Even the mages had been through the abode. He could still feel protection magics that weren't his own. Especially around the bathroom.

This would be a difficult day for everyone. House Lupuna would be lucky to maintain half its noble alliances when the day was over. He could only imagine how his father would take Padraig's betrayal, how he would handle this latest adversity.

Without a shave, without a shower, Gannon donned his best military uniform, slick new shoes and a classic timepiece. There were meetings to attend, and a favor to ask. Safety had now become an issue. The bathroom was off limits and he bound Orion around his waist as he left his abode.

The palace was nearly empty, save for the small groups of mages in their heavy maroon cloaks, staffs by their sides. Knights in shiny plate armor with the crest of the wolf emblazoned on their chest plates lined the walls between the administrative entrance and the offices. They stood shoulder to shoulder at attention.

Activity picked up the closer he got to the offices, as government workers shuffled to and fro, but even the offices seemed sparse. The gossip in the halls spoke of the impending sidhe march on the palace. Families were leaving Capital City in droves as the news circulated that King Kirwin stood to lose his throne to a coup. The king and his heir were in hiding. Padraig had stolen his brother's betrothed on the day of their engagement. Public support for the heir and his soon-to-be mate was very low, as the general populace found the move to be in terribly bad taste, especially for a would-be king. The people demanded repayment for the farce of a ball the noble houses had used public funds to finance.

With rumors swirling about the sidhe march on the palace, tensions were high among those remaining in Capital City. Some spoke of overthrowing the king and fighting the sidhe. Others would join with the sidhe to dethrone the useless monarchy. The first whispers of rebellion filled the palace.