Chapter 56

Gannon rounded the corner of the administration wing and approached the counsel's chambers just in time to see three members take their leave. His nice new shoes tapped on the hardwood floor, drawing attention from down the hall. Lord's Kong and Enru bowed to the prince, and Lady Vash curtseyed. They continued down the hall in the opposite direction to avoid the young prince. They had just discussed his most embarrassing proposition yet and found theat they were not prepared to face the young man. Lady Kunai was the last to leave the room and as she saw the young prince, she stopped and curtseyed to him.

"Lady Kunai, may I have a word please?" he inquired.

"Of course, highness. However might I assist?" She backed into the room just as the servants had begun removing their early morning tea service. She waved them away with her hand and the doors to the rear of the office closed gently.

"I have need of your assistance, my lady."

"My prince, whatever can a lowly public servant do for you?"

She was surely humble, but she was no lowly public servant. Lady Kunai led the king's advisory council, the first woman to do so. She was a warrior and a scholar. She had earned the respect of her counterparts and her word carried a lot of weight within the government, and Gannon understood all of this. "Today, this council is set to impose what is sure to be a grand punishment upon House Lupuna and House Emberiz for mismanagement of the public fund."

She replied as she sat gingerly on a leather chair, "Yes, we certainly are."

This next part of explanation was difficult. The wound was too fresh. He swallowed his pride and continued. "I understand the consequences of my failed betrothal... but I do not believe that it was Lady Tallis' intent to disgrace her noble house, her family... it was not her intent to bring about such chaos from all of the political maneuverings of the noble houses. She is a young lady, and uninformed about such things as finances, and betrothals to royalty."

He paused. The lies were becoming unbearable. Lady Kunai knew full well what a noblewoman could expect once betrothal had been brokered, and he knew that... still, he had to try for Turi.

"Apologies, my lord. I cannot imagine the ill that has befallen you since your return home. It is shameful that your brother could not afford you the simple rite of allowing your betrothal to commence without interruption. You have my deepest sympathies." She placed her hand over her heart and bowed her head to him.

It made him feel worse. "Thank you, my lady."

"I can scarcely imagine what I can do for the Lady Tallis and her noble house. Denying the public the joy and pleasure of celebrating your nuptials cost us heavily at a time we could not afford to appear frivolous in our expenditures. Weddings make people happy, my lord. As unfortunate as it seems, we were counting on two years of feasts and celebrations for you and the crown prince's nuptials to stem the talk of rebellion. Now all the people see is the spend-thrift, wasteful heir to the throne, betraying his brother and father. They don't see a reason for maintaining the monarchy. The question its usefulness. I don't know if I can do anything for you that will change that in one day's time."

"I only request that Lady Tallis is given time to properly explain herself. The men on the council will not willingly afford her the opportunity to speak on her own behalf. And I believe that her uncle may attempt to silence her for his own purposes. If you could entreaty the council on her behalf, give her a few minutes to speak to her own motives, I would greatly appreciate the gesture."

"And what do you hope to gain from this entreaty? You cannot expect the council to go lightly on House Emberiz in the face of what has happened, what is to happen... "

"Not at all, my lady. I simply would like the Lady to be allowed to speak to her own defense."

Lady Kunai took a long, deliberate look at the young prince. His outward appearance was stunning, sharp as a tack. But she could tell he'd had a long night. The stubble gave it away. His brother had stolen his betrothed and it was highly speculated that they'd fought about it.

"You are the Lord Warrior now, my lord. You have a place on this council, a vote on this very issue."

"I had no idea... my father never mentioned it."

"As long he has sat at the head of our council as the king and abstained his votes as The Huntsman, he may well have forgotten. With you on the council, the Horde will have a true voice in the nobility, as it should be. The question before us, Lord Warrior, is whether House Lupuna should repay the debt to the empire, or should it be House Emberiz?"

He didn't need to think on it. This was a chance to keep his word to Turi and to make Tallis pay for the spectacle she created at the same time. "House Lupuna should be indebted to the empire. However, I was privy to a conversation wherein Lady Tallis agreed to hold House Lupuna free from that debt. She offered to have her noble house take on the punishment given to the royal house. The queen agreed. House Emberiz should take the punishment."

"And you will take your rightful place, Lord Warrior, as a voting member of this counsel?"

Gannon nodded realizing the trap he didn't see coming. "Of course, my lady. I am at this counsel's service."

Lady Kunai smiled. "Two minutes. I will afford her two minutes to speak on her own behalf. It may well be the least I can do for this noble house before it goes under."

Gannon placed his right hand over his heart and bowed to her graciously. "You have my sincerest thanks, my lady. I shall take my leave. You must have preparations."

"I do, indeed. Will I see you at the meeting?"

"I will attend to lend my father support."

"He will surely need it. You are a good son, despite what they say."

Gannon smiled half-heartedly, and then left Lady Kunai's office. He'd come through for his friend. The rest was up to the Emberiz's.