Chapter 51

Kirwin looked at Sloane with disdain. He had just returned from his ritual and hadn't even hung his robe. He tossed it on the couch, his forehead crinkled as he tried to think of a response to this most shocking news.

"Don't look at me like that. You gave explicit instructions before you entered your ritual detailing what everyone was to do. I assumed your brat of a son knew his role in the larger scheme of things. I could never have imagined that Padraig would have been the one to betray your wishes like this."

"You couldn't interrupt him? You just let him take her hand in front of everyone?"

"Everyone was there. It was not the time to risk one of his tantrums. Dillion told me he'd had a talk with him earlier and he was not pleased that he learned of the luncheon by herald- "

" -bah," Kirwin dismissed his brother with a sneer and threw his hands up in disgust.

"He is to be king. He was operating in your office. Imagine if you were tending to official business and I interrupted you, questioned you before dignitaries, the staff. The scandal would be unthinkable. That would have sank his credibility before he ever came to the throne. Once it was done, it was done. I'm sorry, brother. Truly, I am. If I had even one inkling that he would do this, I would have insisted that we wait for you."

Sloane paused and licked his lips, about to say something everyone was thinking, but no one wanted to admit aloud. "I was prepared to intercede should Gannon have faltered in his commitment... I could not have prepared for what took place today. None of us could."

Kirwin threw his hands up again and walked over to the windows. Sloane was right. Everyone thought it would be Gannon to betray the family. They even threatened to take away his birthright they felt so certain that he was against them.

"What will you do?" he whispered.

"What I have to do. What we planned to do from the beginning."

"The Unseelie Court will never relinquish hold of our government once you let them in."

"It's the price we'll have to pay to keep their military out of Taladae. You think I want their mages walking the streets and running the guilds?"

"Peace, brother," he whispered. "You trained Padraig how to rule, now you must train him how to fight. He is lacking in his understanding of world politics and his influence in our government."

"Not because I haven't tried."

"That's not what I meant."

"I know what you meant." He knew it... he'd failed. He was supposed to ready the heir to rule when the time came and he failed.

"What I mean is... there is a mountain to climb now. Padraig will have to fight to maintain his alliances, your alliances. He will have to fight to maintain control over your government. You and he will have to work together to make the people believe that a sidhe as our regent, making everyday decisions for them, is a good thing, when we all know it's bad. I hate to state the obvious, but Padraig is not well-versed in these things. He thinks politics is sitting in the comfort of your chambers with advisors and councilmen, he knows nothing of the effort it takes to make things happen. He doesn't know how to make the mage corp run on time. That's the politics your people see everyday. The two of you can handle the sidhe. It's the wolfen I'm worried about."

Kirwin inhaled and sighed, his shoulders slumping, his head aching. "I know. The mountain is tall and our time is short. We have a meeting with the council tomorrow. I'm sure there will be a swift vote of confidence. Have you heard from House Renton?"

"Naois went to their patriarch directly after the luncheon. He thought it best they hear this news from us rather than the gazette at dawn."

Kirwin exhaled loudly. "Thank you for handling all this in my absence. I hear you sent guards to House Emberiz. The political landscape has changed, and not necessarily for the better where they are concerned."

"I'm sure Gannon and Turi will commiserate before night's end. In the meantime, we need to make certain that our remaining allies are protected. We cannot afford to appear weak given this very public and devastating betrayal."

Sloan hesitated before he asked yet another difficult question. "Will he marry her?"

"Of course not. She's not Gaduriel, and he's never coming back. Padraig will surely blame her for this travesty, and she will never see the title of queen. She will never bear his children."

"The only reason we allowed his relationship with Gaduriel is because he pretended to bed Gannon's women. He was a young man sowing his wild oats. Well, there is no more pretend. He has a woman now and the expectation is clear - he is to provide an heir to the throne. There are no more distractions for him. The sidhe are knocking at the door, threatening to bring it down. We're losing our hold on the throne. Our young men must begin their families or we'll be just like Gim and his brothers in the north... a bunch of old men running the empire with no one to take up their lead when they're gone, the barons knocking down the door. The only thing that will save Padraig's rule is an heir. See to it he understands that. All of this means nothing if he can't or won't continue our bloodline with her."

"You're right, of course. You were right all along."

"I should go, brother. There are many plans to arrange. Not the least of which is making the call to Lord Anghus."

"Sorry you have the pleasure of delivering the news to our sidhe allies. I'd hoped we wouldn't have to do this."

Sloane walked away, out of his brother's abode, down the long hallway that led to the administration wing and took note of all the additional security. Armed knights in the palace. He hadn't seen them stand guard inside the palace since the days of war.