Chapter 5

Kirwin started to sit down at the bare table and a padded chair appeared beneath him, as happened to everyone who followed his command. Gannon bent his knees to sit at the bare table and a padded chair like all the others appeared beneath him. His armor laid on the chair like he had placed it there himself. He placed it in his lap as he sat.

The table was decked in black linens with silver trimmings; silver candelabras that held glowing white candles; white bone china and silver cutlery; and mugs of frothy red ale at every place setting. Huge portions of roasted meat and vegetables sat in front of everyone and roasted suckling pigs on silver trays lined the center of the table. Large bowls of vegetables and loaves of bread were passed around and everyone helped themselves, except the pets, which were cared for by their masters. 

It was a jovial occasion as the Horde celebrated an important addition to their family. Many of the newer brethren did not understand what had taken place. Naois, who sat across from Padraig, rose from his seat and explained to a room of hushed brethren.

“You have been witness to a ritual as old as time itself. When the Huntsman allows another to lead the Wild Hunt, the Horned God blesses the chosen one with His mark, a sign that he or she has the right to succeed the Huntsman. The candidate endures a series of trials. The nature of all the trials is not known. However, it is known that during the final trial, the Horned God gives the candidate his sight, the ability to see evil among his children. If the candidate survives they are deemed successful, and will take the mantle as our Huntsman at a time appointed by the Horned God. Many candidates are driven mad by the sight, for to behold what the gods see can be a terribly frightening thing. Some candidates forego the final trial entirely. Our young Lord Warrior has plenty of time before he is called to replace our Huntsman.”

Naois didn’t know it, but Kirwin hoped he was wrong.

The Horde celebrated through the night as Gannon regaled them with tales of his travels as promised. His brothers had tales of their own to share, as he had missed thirteen years of nightly hunts while on his personal quest. 

As the night wore on, the Great Hall continued to give what the Horde needed. Platters of food remained fully stocked with hot meat and warmed vegetables and bread baskets brimmed with hot, crusty rolls. Pitchers of ale remained full until all the Horde had gotten their fill. It was close to daylight before the hall emptied, the table and all its trimmings disappeared, and the Horde went back to their lives in the light.

************

Beams of daylight filled the small abode and Gannon woke surrounded by two warm bodies in a fur covered bed. The soft, curvy ladies stirred in their sleep as he moved and disturbed the warmth of their slumber. He turned over and visually inspected the shadowy room. Clothes were strewn about. Mugs sat on the side table along with a half-eaten loaf of brandied bread. The room still smelled of sweat and desert sage. The smoke from it wafted through the room, creating strange lines of light and shadow. 

"It seems you’re back to your old self." Dillion gently took what remained of the desert sage smokestick and grinned, then took a short puff on it.

Gannon placed his hand to his temple and the ladies began moving about. 

“Go on now, off you go. I’m sure he’ll come calling tonight or the next.”

Gannon sat upright as Dillion dismissed his guests, and the warm bodies withdrew from his bed. He watched the dark-skinned, full-bodied girls as they stood and stretched in all their naked glory. One of them was still hybrid. She winked at him as she grabbed her dressings and left the room.

“It must have been a good night. Get cleaned up and dressed. Padraig will be here soon. He’s just finishing up with his council. Father wants to see you before tea and we’ve got some catching up to do before then.”

Dillion was Gannon’s older brother, the middle son. He was always looking out for both Padraig and Gannon, and he was glad to see his little brother return.

Gannon sighed heavily and rolled out of bed. He grabbed the largest mug on the side table and drank until it was empty.

His brother sat in an overstuffed armchair and stared at the belt that hung on the bedpost. Stark white against all the dark wood of the room. The longsword hung lazily against the wall. Its hilt laid against one of the down filled pillows.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?”

“Stunning, actually. You know this changes things, right?”

“I know. Change is good,” Gannon yawned as he walked into the bath closing the door behind him.

“Not always.” Dillion took another puff from the smokestick before snuffing it out in the tray.

He stared at the bright white belt and the sword that hung from it and he knew things would never be the same. The belt spoke to him. 

The trials have begun, yet he does not know.

Dillion had been part of the Horde for so long, things like this were second nature to him. He’d been granted special armor by the Hall before as Master of Beasts. He’d had to succeed in trials. It almost drove him mad. All he did was train animals and hybrids and train the Horde to master them. Gannon was to lead them all. Fae, hybrid, animal - every manner of being in the Horde would answer his call one day. His trials would either drive him mad, or drive him away.

Or kill him.

Dillion shrugged off the thought.

“Not on my watch,” he whispered, getting out of the comfortable chair.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The inspiration for the table which is forever filled with foodstuff, and really the Great Hall of Cernunnos itself, is taken from Irish mythology.

The Dagda is a protector of his tribe and is associated with a magical cauldron, the Undry, which was said to be bottomless and which left no man unsatisfied. He was also said to possess two pigs, one of which was always growing while the other was alway roasting and ever-laden fruit trees. I imagine that if a god wanted to provide for his chosen, there would be this kind of magic available to them in his sort of "Hall of Plenty". It's why I had the Hall provide everything the Horde could need, anything they wanted for his battles.

You can read more about Dagdha and the mythology surrounding him at the link to the right.