Chapter 10

Kirwin inhaled and exhaled. This was a difficult admission for a king to make. "Your uncles insisted that if you bring dishonor to the duchess or her house through this agreement, you are to lose your inheritance. They would not budge in this. Our hold on the throne is eroding by the moment and we stand to lose a lot if we make a fool of our most powerful ally. I need you boys married and starting families if we are to strengthen our claim. It makes no sense to make preparations to retire if none of you are at least preparing for the next generation. The nobility is beating down the door. Their houses are busy marrying off their most eligible members and strengthening their positions and alliances. We must do the same. The Unseelie Court poses a great threat. Their queen has already sent her assassins under the guise of ‘ambassadors’. We must ready our defenses against her attack and prepare to go on the offensive if necessary. I can’t do that without the full support of the nobility and your uncles."

Without so much as a thought, Gannon responded, "So be it."

The Unseelie Court had been threatening to take over Taladae’s throne since his grandfather was king, and Queen Donella had only become more resolute in her attempts to take over the throne as Kirwin’s sons aged and grew in power. 

Their great grandfather left their family in the Northern Territories to find Taladae. This throne was his legacy. Gannon owed it to the family to figure out a way to avoid marrying the Duchess without endangering the alliance.

Kirwin was prepared to put up a fight. He breathed a little easier when he didn't have to.

"We should talk about this...before I go." He looked him straight in the eye, but he didn't need to gesture to the belt. His father knew.

"What is there to talk about? You were returning from a quest. I felt a major change in your being. I let you lead the Hunt. Now you are my successor. After tonight’s conversation, I know I was right."

Gannon paused for a while, unsure of how to broach the subject. "Padraig was to be your successor."

"And he denied the gift. I filled a need."

"You're certain this wasn't some attempt at playing politics within the Horde to benefit your needs for Taladae’s throne?"

Kirwin smiled a bit. "Politics are always afoot, my boy. But if you mean to ask if I allowed you to usurp your brother's role in some misguided attempt at playing the noble houses against one another, then no."

"This changes things between us, greatly. Even Dill said so."

"I know. I knew the consequences when I made the choice. The benefits will outweigh them, of that I am sure."

"What of Padraig? You said earlier that everyone would win in your machinations. He will lose his sight, possibly fall out of favor with the Horde. Will he hate me for this turn of events?"

"He was chosen by Cernunnos to fill this role when the time came. He denied this gift. I did not take it from him and neither did you. He didn't want it and it had to go to someone. Will he hate you? I can only imagine...yes. As you succeed in your trials you will grow in power. You will become more than him among the brethren. There will come a time when he will answer to you. He can't have it both ways, Gannon. He can't lead men in a search for justice without accepting the responsibility that goes along with it. To lead the Horde you must see what cannot be seen. You must trust in the Horned God's mandate. You are beholden only to Him."

Gannon had so many questions. There were so many unknowns.

"You're to begin your training soon, yes?"

"Possibly tonight."

"That, along with your courtship and the trials you have begun will keep you a very busy man. Hopefully these things will weigh less on your mind over time."

Dinner concluded, they both rose from the table and embraced. 

"Be careful, son,” he whispered. “You're at the center of a great shift in our times. Just be careful in your duties."

"I will be vigilant, father."

"Your brother will be here shortly." Kirwin sighed deeply while holding his son and wished the next conversation would go so well.

"Good luck."

Gannnon left his father’s dining room through the palace this time, and ran into Dillion and Padraig almost at the front door.

Padraig pushed past him without a word and Dillion followed Gannon away from their father’s door.

“Do I need to ask what his problem is?”

“Same as earlier. Gaduriel heard rumors of Padraig’s impending betrothal. Their discussion did not go well. How did things go for you?”

"I played along as we discussed. I will begin a formal courtship with the duchess tomorrow. I assured him I understood that this cannot be helped. I still have to see Turi, though. He’s my friend and I need to do this the right way."

"He will need reassurance given your...history." Dillion understood. Turi, Gannon and he had shared the company of many women of dubious virtue on many occasions. Turi would need to be certain that Gannon was ready to put those tendencies to rest prior to giving his sisters hand to Gannon in marriage.

"Yes. We also spoke about this..." He lifted his jacket up to reveal the gleaming white belt that held the long sword at his hip. He’d been surprisingly comfortable wearing it around all day. It felt like a second skin.

"And?"

"He says it's not politics that prompted his decision. He says the benefits outweigh the consequences. And I've already started my trials, so there's no turning back."

"And Padraig? What of his sight? Where is he in all this?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does everybody win in Kirwin's machinations?

Will Gannon really play long given that his inheritance is at stake?