Chapter 50

Turi walked his sister to the doors of their temporary quarters and left her there, in the hall, with her ladies-in-waiting at her side. He tightened the slack from his pet's leash and they rushed through the palace towards Gannon's abode. Along the way he could see the guard force increasing, security tightening. Tallis and Padraig had brought danger to everyone close to them. With their betrothal, there was no likelihood of sidhe blood on Taladae's throne. This would almost certainly mean war.

Twice the guards stopped him and asked for his court credentials. He'd been lucky. He was still carrying them from when he'd had to enter the king's quarters. They scrutinized the papers and those allowing him to lead a pet on leash inside the palace, and let him go. The mage corp had been dispatched in earnest, running protection magics all around the palace's common areas. Everything glowed as their magic ran from the ground, feeding on Gaea's earthly power, and out into the fixtures, the plants, the vases and artwork. Nothing had been left untouched by their protective magics. Not surprisingly, there was no extra security at Gannon's abode. No guards, no mages. Despite his recent troubles, his trials, nothing had changed for him.

Turi approached the abode and rapped his knuckles against the door. Hearing nothing, he slowly turned the knob and quietly pushed the door open.

"Come in, dammit," he heard from inside.

Turi entered, his pet trailing behind him, and shut the door. The lean leopard sat quietly at the door and Turi dropped the leash. He began to pace until Gannon held out a glass of golden liquid. Gannon pointed to the empty chair to his left and held the glass there.

Turi took the invitation, sat down in the overstuffed chair, and took a sip of the liquid.

"I have to tell my uncle... I have to find a way to tell him. He can't find out from anyone else."

"You don't have time to ponder this, friend. The news is already circulating around the palace. Guards are everywhere, mages are overrunning the place. It's but a matter of time before it reaches the guest quarters... if Tallis' ladies-in-waiting haven't spilled the beans already."

Turi hesitated. He had no plan for how badly things went, so he pressed on. "Gannon... I'm going to ask a favor of you and I don't want this to affect our friendship."

"Turi, you've done things for me over the years that I could never repay... what can I do for you?"

"I had hoped to ask after your betrothal, when it would have been more appropriate... "

"Go on."

He hated to ask so soon. He was an honorable man and it embarrassed him to come to Gannon on his knees. "She needs a voice at court, Gannon. House Emberiz will be called on to explain itself before the counsel and no one can give explanation better than she. I don't have the authority to demand such a thing at court. My uncle will not trust her to speak for herself. I need you to empower her just for that moment."

Gannon inhaled and sighed deeply. It was too soon to help her. "I can't make any promises, frankly I don't think it will make a difference, but I will try to give Tallis an opportunity to explain herself before the council."

Turi sighed and sipped the honeyed liquor. "Many thanks, my friend."

"I will warn you to advise your uncle to get his finances in order, post haste. I imagine that because of today's happenings, my father will lose House Renton's support. They will demand that he personally refill the public coffers after this debacle caused by Tallis. I don't have to tell you what a poor position she's placed your noble charter. House Emberiz stands to take on whatever punishment is doled out to House Lupuna. Your uncle may have to pay what is owed to the empire."

"I know, she spoke without thinking and may have cost us everything your father tried to preserve for us. My uncle worked so hard to keep it afloat. He worked so hard to keep us titled and part of the court. She ruined it all by not taking your damned cup." He took another sip of liquor and it burned as he swallowed.

"This could be very bad. They could destroy Emberiz credibility and wealth all at once. She must choose her words carefully tomorrow. Coach her on what to say, what not to say, what to wear, what not to wear. She should appear very fragile and... emotional. This betrothal situation is uncomfortable for everyone involved. She can't gloat on her engagement with Padraig. She must have a very good reason for her actions or House Emberiz is in a lot of trouble financially, politically."

"Why are you doing this? I mean, I thank you but I know you never wanted a marriage with her."

"I didn't... I don't want any of this. As much as I didn't want to marry her, I'm not willing to walk away and leave House Emberiz in a complete shambles either. If this doesn't go well for her tomorrow, she will lose her titles, possibly her land. She'll have nothing left of her inheritance. I know my brother, Turi. He won't marry her. His lover is gone, his political support will erode. The reality of this situation will dawn on him once we get to court and he has to face our father. He will blame her. It won't be fair, and it won't be right, but he'll never marry her because she will have cost him a lot. She has put herself at his mercy and there's nothing anyone can do about it. I don't hate her, Turi, I just didn't want to marry her."

"You're a noble man, Gannon. More than me, that's for certain. I will speak to Levin tonight... about many things. He and I will coach Tallis and prepare her for her appearance in the morning."

Turi finished his drink and sat the glass gently on the table. "You'll be alright?"

"I have a date tonight." Gannon smiled.

"Well, that didn't take long. May I ask with whom?"

"She's an older lady... "

"Try to be discrete about it. You're in a unique position. As long as you're broken-hearted, you'll never be betrothed again. Take a lesson from Dill for once." Turi rose from his seat and the leopard stood as well.

"Yes, discretion and a lesson from Dill. Oh, and I'll speak with Lady Kunai about Tallis. She will be able to grant her a few moments to speak on her own behalf."

Turi inhaled deeply and exhaled, turning his back to his friend. "Good night, friend."

"Stay safe tonight."

Turi exited along with his pet, the heavy wooden door closed gently behind him, and four cloaked mages with large oak staffs flanked the door in the hallway. "Gentlemen, I don't recall requesting an escort."

One of the cloaked men responded. "My lord, Lord Sloane insisted. He said to inform you that House Emberiz is safe in the palace."

Turi nodded and began walking down the hallway. "Let us go see to the rest of the house's safety."