Chapter 48

Padraig approached Turi and whispered, "I shall take your lady's hand to present a gift... if you will, Lord Turi."

His voice was low and measured. He threatened with it, a smile on his face. Of all the princes in the room, he would be king. He was acting in official capacity in his father's stead. His will would be done or heads would roll.

Turi swallowed hard. Hard enough for the whole room to hear it. He needed one of the uncles to intercede or it would appear that he offered Tallis' hand to the wrong brother. He didn't want to be the one to ruin so many hours of negotiation. If only she'd just taken the damned teacup...

He placed his sister's hand in Padraig's.

She stood and looked at Padraig - confused, yet pleased - as he handed her the gilded parchment.

"Your Highness, I thank you for your generosity and this kind welcome into House Lupuna."

Gannon breathed a sigh of relief. She didn't accept his gift yet. But if she accepts before she takes mine... there will be no explanations, no justifications that would satisfy our father.

Turi, Gannon and Dillion all exchanged sideways glances. Sloane slowly walked over and stood between Gannon and Dillion. This was a highly unusual situation, completely lacking in protocol. He didn't know what the brothers were thinking, what they were planning. None of this was expected. The entire room was silent and on edge. Gannon's engagement event was quickly spiraling out of control. The events had been arranged to the letter, but Padraig's actions threatened to throw everything in disarray.

Sloane knew there was no way to save this, should the need arise. Padraig was acting in the official capacity of the king. To go against him would undermine his future rule, if there was to be one. And it was well known he had the propensity to behave quite childish if he believed his will was being ignored. As much as Sloane might have wanted to intercede, now was not the time for Kirwin's staff and House Emberiz to witness one of Padraig's tantrums. He steeled himself to find out Padraig's intentions.

"I present to you, my lady, a most rare gift. The deed to the Royal Forest... you will be its Keeper in title and by right. These lands shall pass to your kin through union... should you accept my offer of engagement."

The room remained quiet, despite the shocking development. Gannon, Dillion and Sloane were incensed. Turi was confused. Gaduriel might well have cried.

Tallis responded before anyone could begin to salvage Gannon's intent. "Highness," she started smiling, "I do accept your offer of engagement. I would be honored to join with you in matrimony and I accept this most rare and generous gift."

She curtseyed before him, clutching the parchment close to her bosom, smiling as she shot a devilish grin to Gannon.

Dillion and Sloane looked at him as he held the teacup precariously on one finger. They concluded he intended to follow through with his engagement. They both shared the thought... they also felt shame that they ever doubted him.

"We shall celebrate. Dillion has arranged a most satisfying luncheon for your engagement, my lady. Come." Padraig placed her hand on his arm and escorted her to the long dining table. It was draped in the same burgundy and royal blue that Padraig wore draped across his chest.

Dillion and Gannon sat across from each other. They needed to see each other. They needed to talk without speaking, as they often did. Sloane sat next to Dillion. Turi sat next to Tallis, with Padraig on her other side. The head of the table was empty, in reverence to the absent king. Tallis' ladies-in-waiting took up the remaining seats after the nobility and lunch was served promptly.