Chapter 44

"You are a duchess because he cared enough not to leave you destitute when our parents passed and left us no inheritance. Now our leadership is elderly and they have been biding time until we are ready. Kirwin, Sloane, Naois, Levin... they need us to take this over now. And it has to happen now, dear sister, right now. You're right. I need you to marry so that I can as well, and I make no apologies for it. We both need to start families. We both need to do our part to rebuild House Emberiz. No woman wants to join with a man from a near-defunct noble house who brings a horde pet and an unmarried sister to the union."

She scoffed at him and his responsibilities and rubbed her hand over her sore arm.

"Without a proper marriage - a noble marriage - you're as good as a scullery maid, without the talent. Your worth is judged only by your husband's worth. I wish uncle would have encouraged you to enter politics. You could have become a champion for House Emberiz. You are certainly smart enough for it, you have the wit about you. But for all the wit and smarts in the world, Gannon will be the best we can ever do for you. I say that, not because he's this terrible man with a horrid reputation, but because I know you wanted more for yourself."

"He's your friend. I'm not the least surprised to hear you take up for him, even over me." She pouted and her cheek ached.

"I know what the gazette says, I know what the rumors are. Trust me, I know first hand, some of it. And yes, he is my friend. He hasn't done anything more than any other man of title. He only gets degraded publicly because that's how the queen wills it. His public humiliations are her entertainment. He is honorable, Tallis. He will treat you well. You will be his princess in every sense of the word."

"And behind my back- "

" -he would never! He would never betray you. You have my word, sister. He's not like that. I know it's been written, but he's never wronged a lady. I'm not sure about many things, but I will take that knowledge to my grave."

"I shall obey my brother and my uncle in their wishes."

"This is for you, my dearest sister. This is the only way we could secure your future."

"I'll wear the purple dress... or is that too forward for accepting an engagement?"

"Wear the burgundy dress... colors of House Lupuna. The king's staff will appreciate the gesture and if the king makes an appearance, he will be impressed."

He gently touched her bruised cheek and leaned in to kiss her forehead. "I swear I would not insist if I thought for one moment this was not good for you. You will bear many children. He will love them with all his heart. Maybe he will grow to love you. One day, your children will lead House Emberiz along with mine. That is what this is all about. Our future. The future of House Emberiz. Gannon will work hard to make you happy. This, I promise."

He meant it. If he had to insist to his friend, his prince, he would make his sister happy in this. Even if it meant losing his head in the process.

"I will accept his offer of engagement today, wearing the colors of House Lupuna. This, I promise, my brother."

Turi left without another word. Getting ready for an official luncheon in the king's quarters called for more than just his military uniform. Shirts had to be starched, coats had to be pressed, shoes had to be buffed and shined.

Tallis retreated to her bath, alone, as her ladies-in-waiting rushed to and fro preparing themselves and her for this most honored occasion. None of them had ever had the pleasure or honor of an invitation to the king's personal quarters. They were all certain this would be the first of many such occasions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dillion had retired to his quarters long enough to pour himself a drink before the knock at the door. His maid approached, but he stopped her with a nod. He almost hated to have staff at his disposal. They should be handling Padraig and Gannon.

He opened the door, disheveled, the smell of heavy liquor on his breath. As the door left his hand, someone pushed through. Padriag.

"Seriously, another luncheon?" he asked, barging in behind his brother. He continued speaking, "And in father's quarters, no less. Who is this woman, a duchess or a druid?"

He never acknowledged Dillion or the staff. He seemed to forget his own following bevy of hangers on. Dillion allowed only Gaduriel to enter. He closed the door right after him.

Padraig poured himself a drink, drank it down in one gulp, then poured another.

"Apologies, my prince," whispered Lord Gaduriel, bowing in reverence to Dillion and the staff. "He's been on a tear ever since the herald left the invitation. I hope you can calm his...nerves."

"Don't patronize me. Why did I not hear of this from you or Gannon? Why did the herald, of all people, deliver this news to me? A formal luncheon in father's quarters - in the royal dining hall - and I hear of it through staff? Am I not worthy of personal notification in these matters?"

Dillion took a sip of his drink and licked his lips "Calm down, no one's implying you are unworthy of proper notice of these official events...Gaduriel," he motioned to Padraig. It often took both of them to calm him.

"I should be made aware of any and all expenditures of the public and private royal funds and this time I am notified by herald. Is this how my father received notification? Did some glorified footman deliver notification to him about this rather hefty expenditure and use of his quarters?"

"He's my father too, you know."