Chapter 43

"Why be a princess when I could be a queen, dear uncle?"

"What are you implying?"

She returned his steely look and prepared herself for this revelation. "What if I could give you the throne, uncle? Isn't that what my father would have wanted?"

He walked over to her and smacked her cheek. She stumbled backward as blood rushed to her brown skin, and it ached instantly.

As she rubbed her warm cheek, he spoke in a slow, measured tone. "We... don't... need... the throne. Do you understand? There are politics involved that you scarcely comprehend. This deal was proffered to us - Prince Gannon to you and the heir to House Renton - because it is the only way Taladae maintains its blood alliance with the Unseelie Queen. In exchange for House Renton's continued support of the king and House Lupuna's leadership, the Unseelie Court requires sidhe blood on the throne of Taladae and this is the only way to get it. House Lupuna's hold on the throne is tenuous at best. Immediate changes would start talks of a rebellion, and a civil war wouldn't be far behind. We are ill-equipped to go to war now, either amongst ourselves or with the sidhe. Sidhe blood on the throne of Taladae keeps us from war."

He grabbed her upper arm with a strength she had not imagined. Her arm ached as the skin pinched under the weight of his grasp and she struggled to get away.

"We're in no position to tangle with House Lupuna over this trifle. Goddess only knows what we're set to repay the public coffers over your forsworn engagement with the prince. If you think you can string one brother along while tempting the other, you are sadly mistaken. It is a highly inappropriate thing to attempt, and one that will ruin your reputation with Kirwin and Aurora. Remember, you will not ever be queen, but by marrying Gannon, you will become part of his family. You cannot play both ends of this candle, Tallis, you will get burned."

She snatched her arm from him and walked over to the window, rubbing her arm along the way. "I understand, uncle."

I understand I cannot count on you for support in this...

"I will hear nothing more of this. House Emberiz is honorable and we are loyal to House Lupuna. We always honor our commitments. You would do well to remember that, princess, and remember the unknown debt we owe to them. Prepare yourself for a meeting with the nobility and pray we are held to a lower standard than the Lupunas."

He walked away and the door closed behind him as Tallis looked out the window. She could see Turi and his pet leopard in the reflection.

"I take it the conversation went well."

She shrugged and her arm ached. "It went... as well as could be expected."

He nodded, approached her and looked out the window with her.

"It's time you stopped playing around with this, Tallis. House Lupuna and our uncle made great sacrifices so that you and Gannon could be joined. There are serious political and social ramifications surrounding this betrothal."

This song and dance was getting old. "I know, sacrifices were made."

"Why do you still play with him? And don't give me any mess about his reputation. He's a prince of the realm and despite his reputation he has the ability to make life extremely easy for you."

Because I don't want him. "I'm just overwhelmed, dear brother. I swear that's all. You have accepted lunch and I will go. I will advance our union further today, I promise."

"Accept the damned flower, Tallis. There's nothing left for you to do to advance the union, but accept his offer of engagement. Stop playing around and get on with this. He's a prince of the Empire. You would be his princess. Your future would be secure- "

" -and you would be free to marry yourself. Isn't that right, brother?" She bit her lip.

Uncle and Turi were quick to marry her off to the highest bidder, even if he was a prince. But did they ask her opinion before they sealed their deal? The ink was barely dry on the evening gazette before her ladies-in-waiting delivered the news. She was worthy of so much more than the ceremonial title of princess. Gannon wasn't a real prince and everyone knew it. By virtue of his parentage, he was prince in title only. He governed no lands, presided over no official duties... he was a cad and that was it. He'd cheat on her before the druid pronounced them and then she'd make headlines for all the wrong reasons.

"You say that like it's a bad thing. Yes... I would be free to marry. I've been a bachelor for a very long time and I've enjoyed every minute of it. But it's time for both of us to get to the business of securing our futures. We have responsibilities to House Emberiz and House Lupuna."

"House Lupuna never cared for any other than their own."

"Need I remind you the king could have revoked our charter when our parents passed on? He could have left us renters on our own land, beggars among the nobility, but he didn't. He took us into his home, held our land in trust for us- "

" -he did that for himself! Can't you see Levin falling all over himself to please the Lupuna's?"

"Levin would have returned to nothing if it weren't for the king interceding on our behalf. Yes, it benefited him and the royal house. But think about us, Tallis. We could have been at the orphanage were it not for Kirwin. None of us were of age at the time, our uncles were no older than me. The barons were circling, I remember. We were ripe for the picking, but he waited until Uncle Levin returned from questing to look after us."

She didn't remember it that way... she didn't remember it very much at all.