Chapter 42

"Nothing directly. I sensed that she is not happy with meeting in public, so I invited her to lunch tomorrow. Turi accepted on her behalf."

"Turi will be the one who makes this happen, I can see that now. His direct influence on her is paramount to getting her to agree to this publicly... give her lunch. Take your brothers. Spare no expense, from our private coffers, of course. Show both of them that you're serious about taking care of her. Show them that House Lupuna supports their entry into our ruling house. If done just right, it may be the last luncheon you have to arrange."

Gannon's heart sank. His father had given him permission to include his brothers in this caper. He'd been divided about how to proceed with the Lady's threat. She had potential, but she also had bile for blood. Padraig would be stuck with her once the deal was done. There was no question he had eyes for her. He lusted after all Gannon's women, but he never really wanted any of them. There was always his elven love, above all others. And what of Gaduriel? What would happen to him once Tallis sunk her claws into Padraig? He was a good man, loyal and faithful to Padraig for many years. Did he deserve the backstab that was to come?

"You're certain it's appropriate to introduce her to my brothers before a proper public reckoning?"

"Use my personal quarters to lend an air of authenticity. Turi must attend, of course, and all her ladies-in-waiting. We mustn't have even a hint of impropriety in these proceedings. Even a king has limitations."

"Alright, then. Lunch with Padraig and Dillion in your quarters. I will let Turi know to invite all her ladies."

"Your uncles as well. I will not attend as I must do my part in Padraig's ritual. Your elders must be present for this to go over well with the nobility. The more of House Lupuna that can attend, the better."

Dillion added, "I'll notify Padraig and handle the staff arrangements. You just show up in your very best... the gray suit. For god's sake, the gray suit and a white shirt."

He patted Gannon on his shoulder. His brother had endured many things, and was slated to face even more. Dillion didn't watch his communion directly, but he knew it had taken its toll. The ancient wooden door's burnt relief obscured for hours as Gannon communed with the spirits of the Hall. His body shook ever so slightly, and several times Orion shined through its scabbard. He knew his brother had had seen detail in the ancient oak door swirling and bulging before him. He'd seen things that would change life as any of them knew it. He suspected even their father knew it. The least he could do was arrange lunch with his brother's betrothed.

The brothers went their separate ways. Dillion went straight to the administration wing and set to arranging an impromptu, but extremely important, luncheon.

Gannon sent official notice from his father's office to House Emberiz inviting Lady Tallis, her brother and her ladies-in-waiting to lunch in the royal dining hall. With lunch fast approaching, he had scant time to truly prepare. All he could do was rest. Dillion would handle the luncheon details. Padraig would arrive to tend to his royal duties as heir to the throne in their father's absence. Heiden would arrive in the morning, or overnight, and leave proper clothing and accessories in stellar condition. That was, so far, the best decision he'd made since returning from his questing. He laid down and fell right asleep, despite the fighting, the struggling, the dueling, the dancing around the woman. And the palace was tentatively abuzz with the news that their prince was finally joining with a proper noblewoman.

******************

The invitation arrived by herald at dawn just as the palace staff began their daily duties. Horns alerted the palace commons to the approach of the herald, drawing onlookers and admirers alike in the early morning hours. The delivery attracted the attention of all the queen's guest quarters. Most huddled at their doors to get a glimpse of the herald in hopes he'd approach them with some fantastic invitation or proclamation. He kept down the hall, his long tabard sweeping against the dark hardwood floors until he reached the last set of double doors shadowed by Turi and his pet. Tallis, Turi and half the queen's staff moved aside and allowed the lord of House Emberiz to greet the king's herald.

The tall man bowed low to the floor and, with outstretched hand, presented the formal invitation to the lord of the noble house.

Lord Levin took the rolled parchment and the herald stood, head bowed, and spoke with authority.

"From the Office of the King of the Empire of Taladae, His Royal Highness King Kirwin Lupuna, Defender of the Realm. The King is pleased to announce the betrothal of his son, Prince Gannon Lupuna to Lady Tallis Emberiz, niece of Lord Emberiz, on this day. The pleasure of your company is kindly requested at a luncheon held in their honor in the personal abode of the king."

Lord Levin bowed his head to the herald and the man turned and left. Several doors closed in his wake, and Levin knew the gossiping had already begun. Word of this luncheon and betrothal would become common knowledge before daybreak. He shut the door and heard shuffling behind him. Staff had gone on to tend their duties, ladies-in-waiting had gone to prepare themselves and Lady Tallis for her betrothal luncheon. Turi and Tallis remained behind.

Lord Levin carefully unrolled the white parchment, so fine it felt like velvet between his fingers. It had been tied with burgundy and royal blue ribbon and stamped with the seal of the king, still warm to the touch.

"From The Office of The King, alright."

"Then it's true, it's official?" asked Turi, smiling.

His uncle handed him the parchment and he examined it. He rolled the parchment back up and re-tied the ribbons.

The old lord motioned to Turi, "Give us a moment, please."

Turi bowed to his elderly uncle and left the room. When they were alone, after the door had closed, he stared his niece square in the eyes. She steeled herself for what could only be a terse discussion.

"You're done playing your games, do you understand?"

"Uncle?" She batted her pretty eyes and tilted her head like she'd done so many times before.

"Don't play coy with me, girl. Ducking out on the prince. Living it up in the queen's guest quarters with your ladies, and not so much as a thank you to the king. It took a long time to get the king to entertain the idea of joining houses through marriage. I've eaten at the scraps of House Lupuna far too long to let this betrothal be the end of House Emberiz. The prince has shown interest in you. He appears to want to see this arrangement through. I have no doubt the king has stressed to him the importance of your union to House Lupuna's successful vote of confidence. I don't care if you don't like him. That's not what marriage is about, especially between nobility. Marry him, and you'll become his princess. Her Royal Highness, Princess Tallis Emberiz Lady of House Lupuna Duchess of Faft of the Taladaean Empire. Your future will be fated the way your father would have wanted."