Chapter Eight: Crosshairs

Start from the beginning

"You'd rather have to listen to that guy go on about his dad? All the while, thinking that the only reason he's doing any of that is because he feels sorry for you? You don't need to. Not if I'm around, anyway. I know how it is."

Victor stopped in his tracks and glanced over his shoulder. "You don't. How could you? How could anyone? Im sick of you saying that you know what it's like. You can take the machine off. But me? It's all I am now. You don't know how it feels."

Harper clicked her tongue in mild frustration. "Maybe I might not know exactly what it's like, but that might be because you don't ever tell me."

"You're a shrink now?"

"I'm someone who knows a thing or two about feeling like they're a product."

"Are you kidding me? Have you met Metamorpho or Robotman? How the hell would you be any closer to me than they are?"

"Hey I'm not saying I'm just like you. I'm not. No one is. But I like that about you. I'm just...trying." Harper muttered.

Victor thinned his lips. It was easy for him to get lost in his rage...but it wasn't as easy for him to acknowledge it and apologize. His facial expression seemed to be enough for Harper, who exhaled.

She added "Hey...don't worry about it. I won't."

The purple 'eyes' of her Model Val's helmet seemed to pierce through Victor's promethium shell like x-rays through flesh. She planted a hand onto her hip, cocked her head, and asked "You wanna...get a cup of coffee?"

Victor scoffed.

"Come on. Let's do it." She replied whimsically.

Victor's face dropped as he realised that she was being serious. Needless to say, he wasn't exactly getting chased around by all the girls these days. And, of course, this request seemed to just drop out of the sky. Harper was a fine ally in the field, Victor thought, but that was the beginning and end of their relationship. "Uh..." He murmured.

Harper playfully slapped his shoulder and urged "Come on, it'll be fun."

"What...like a date?"

"Not used to having to categorise it that bluntly, but yeah. A date."

The Cyborg's brow furrowed. "Why...?"

Harper laughed nervously "Uh, because I want to?"

"No, why do you want to?"

"You're making this really weird, Vic."

With an exhale, Victor replied "People aren't exactly lining up to ask me out."

"That's their fault. They're missing out on that winning personality of yours." Harper chirped.

Victor huffed in amusement. "I...deserved that one."

"Is that a yes?" The woman asked with anticipation in her voice.

"No. No coffee."

"Okay. Cool, whatever." She shrugged.

Victor smirked weakly. "We're getting pizza. Let me just...grab my civvies." He said, referring to his casual clothes. He never left the Watchtower off-mission without covering himself up with a hoodie, trackpants and a very large pair of shoes. Of course, it never stopped people from staring...but it helped from a distance.

Harper shook her helmet-clad head. "No. No civvies. You're gonna be alright."

He wanted to bat her off and go get his stuff anyway...but he couldn't remember the last time he heard those words being said to him, instead of him telling others.